See a wolf... what would you do?

I live in Minnesota, we have far more wolves than you have and while there are pockets of depredation problems there are also places where there are no problems. I find it hard to believe that your wildlife is being wiped out by a handful of wolves.

You're correct it's about belief, having followed your posts from wolf topic to wolf topic, I don't believe you're an "ethical" hunter, a long range hunter, or a hunter at all. I don't believe you operate from a neutral position regarding wolves as you claim. I don't believe you sincerely wish to share information, I believe your little impotent jabs are intended to sew discord, not foster discussion.

I live in Minnesota, we have far more wolves than you have and while there are pockets of depredation problems there are also places where there are no problems. I find it hard to believe that your wildlife is being wiped out by a handful of wolves.

Here we go again. Having to educate an another uneducated hunter that is living a long ways from the continental US west.

This is going to be a long battle with education coming one person at a time.

It's easy to objectify what's happening to someone else when it's not happening in your own backyard, isn't it? Might you have a different tune if the deer hunting wasn't so good right where you lived?

If we as hunters can't even agree on the issue at hand in the west, how are going to unite enough to fight this thing. Dig man, dig for good information as you won't get it through the typical channels.

Swamphunter, did you take the time to read through or listen to the video links supplied in this thread reprinted below?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Same species or not the wolves that were already here were very differnent, and the most salient point, they ACTED very different than that ones you and I as hunters paid (robbed) for to be introduced here.

Carefully read through the points that detail the difference in habits/actions between these two very different types of wolves in this email link below again from one of the people most involved in documenting the existence of the wolves that were here before the non-native, invasive Canadian Grey wolf was introduced:

Native Rocky Mountain Wolves v. Introduced Canadian Gray Wolves - Black Bear Blog

The information is this email is and should be a major sticking point in this issue in my (albeit fallible) mind.

The Feds helicopter net gunned a very different wolf from not too far over the Canadian border, brought it back south across the 49 parallel and suddenly it's 'endangered'.

Think about that. The whole thing is a complete farce.

Dr. Val Geist is quoted as saying that 50% of a given wolf population would have to be killed every year for years to have an appreciable effect on increasing elk populations in the same areas. See below link:

Removal of West Fork Wolves Unlikely to Help declining Elk Populations

From above article: "Renowned wolf biologist, Dr. L. David Mech told me in a recent interview that removing wolves from the West Fork region would probably have little to no effect on restoring elk numbers. Wolves have a high birth rate and new wolves are likely to quickly claim territory opened by killing the current wolves. Dr. Mech believes we would have to remove far more wolves than the Federal Government will consider allowing to have any chance at helping the elk population."

This is a serious issue, made much more serious because of the kind of animal introduced. You have to really wonder about the mindset of the folks in the USFWS that were willing to rob 60 million+ dollars from the Pittman-Robertson fund to illegally introduce a non-native invasive sub-species/variant wolf in 1994ish--my money and your money from excise taxes on firearms ammunition etc. set up in 1936, I believe, largely to be given back the the states to manage their wildlife. Watching this interview with Jim Beers, who came out of that organization and saw for years what was going on, sheds some light on this:

[ame=http://vimeo.com/28939194]Crying Wolf - Jim Beers: The Demise of Conservation on Vimeo[/ame]

I'd encourage all to watch this and contemplate a bit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reprinted quote from the OP's last post:

"Historically, the wolf populations originally native to Yellowstone were classed under the subspecies C. l. irremotus. When the issue of what subspecies to use for the introduction was raised, park service representatives stated that the taxonomy of grey wolves had been revised numerous times, and that C. l. irremotus was not a distinct subspecies, but a geographical variant. Three publications were made on the appropriateness of using a founding population of Canadian wolves: Brewster and Fritz supported the motion, while Nowak determined that the original Yellowstone wolves were more similar to C. l. nubilus, a subspecies already present in Minnesota, and that the Canadian animals proposed by Brewster and Fritz were of the subspecies C. l. occidentalis, a significantly larger animal. The rationale behind Brewster and Fritz's favour was that wolves show little genetic diversity, and that the original population was extinct anyway. This was contradicted by Nowak, who contested that Minnesotan wolves were much more similar in size and shape to the original population than the proposed Canadian wolves, though he conceded that C. l. occidentalis was probably already migrating southward even before human intervention. The final use of Canadian wolves for the reintroduction was not without criticism: the American Society of Mammalogists criticized the project's lack of deference to the principle of Bergmann's rule, pointing out that the wolves used for the introduction were larger than the original park wolves, and were adapted to colder climates."

Now you read the above quote and then read the first link I supplied above and you start to wonder why didn't the Feds agressive work to reintroduce the wolf subspecies/variant that was already here? Why on earth would you agressively, knowningly introduce a non-navtive, invasive subspecies/variant when there was a known quantity of native wolves in the area?

We are fighting a philosphical/political battle here as these wolves were not introduced because of good science and the ESA was horribly abused in the process. If you knew as much about this as you should before making the grand statements you have you would've realized that the wolves you have in your backyard are characterized to be much more like what was (now extinct at the hands of the introduced Grey wolf and ultimately at the hands of the Feds--ironic to consider, isn't it?) native to the Rocky mtn west than the Canadian Grey wolf.

That's right. If the Feds had gone to your back yard and brought some of those wolves over to the west, they would've been more similar in habits/size/genetics than the Grey wolf introduced from Canada. There's links in this thread above that speak to this directly. So, why didn't they do just that? Think about that. Like I said, we are fighting a deep rooted philosophical/political battle. This is not, unfortunately, about the best science. The philosophical bent of the Feds at USFWS and even many state game agencies (again, listen to the Jim Beers video above) is clearly in mind.

The is a serious bent towards anti-hunting, anti-second ammendment, anti-access, anti-ranching, anti-grazing on federal lands. What particular variant of wolf can knowingly solve all of these issues for these folks with out them having to hardly lift a hand, especially with the backing of the ESA and certain know activist Federal judges? Hmmm...?

Apparently the wolf variant in your back yard didn't quite fit the bill, even though it is known to be closer in nearly every way to the original canis lupis irremotus sub-species variant that was here.

Little sidebar here, but this kinda gets me but also goes to a much deeper philosophical issue that Len clearly does not want discussed here, and so I try to hold my tongue. If folks don't otherwise realize it, technically, aside from the obvious mechanical issues, every dog on earth could mate with any other dog. There is a dog kind an many scientists agree that that what we have now in the world of dog originally came from a very small population of dogs. Sound familiar?

The point is, there is incredible genetic diversity in the dog 'kind', all of which had to be encapsulated in the 'original' dogs. Most of the domestic dogs are just a result of a very human interfering process where folks over long periods of time, bred dogs for certain traits and then these end result variants came about.

The point is that, genetic diversity aside, (which there really isn't that much in the sense of reproduction anyway if successful reproduction could technically occur between any two male/female dogs--really, humans are have 98% genetic similarity to watermelons, so that 2% difference must be important, huh?) the point is that the Canadian Grey wolf (occidentalis) and the Rocky Mountain wolf (irremotus-now truly extinct) LOOKED and ACTED much differently, just like the rest of the dogs in the dog 'kind' do.

So, to say that one kind of wolf if is genetically close to another kind of wolf is not a valid argument in and of itself. They are all very close genetically. But the small difference to genetics (due to population isolation and other factors) results in some huge habit/action/size factors that greatly affect kind of preferred prey, hunting styles and many, many other things.

If this wolf introduction project had solid science with local biologist and the well being of the wildlife of MT, ID and Wyoming in mind then why did they have to go to a Federal Park to do the job, every other game species that has been bolstered or brought back in this area was done on the local level in location that would support the population long term.
And why the heck did we pay Canada for a wolf we could have moved form Minnesota??

A quote from Ed Bangs (Wolf Plan Coordinator) I like (from back in the 1990's) "if you put a beagle in a blender you couldn't tell from DNA if it was a wolf or dog". DNA has progressed,but if there was no difference why not send us beagles? The point is everyone knows there is a difference between beagles and wolves, and they all knew occidentalis was different from lemeritus.
As long as their lies keep producing desirable results, they will keep lying.

If this wolf introduction project had solid science with local biologist and the well being of the wildlife of MT, ID and Wyoming in mind then why did they have to go to a Federal Park to do the job, every other game species that has been bolstered or brought back in this area was done on the local level in location that would support the population long term.
And why the heck did we pay Canada for a wolf we could have moved form Minnesota??

Good points...

Swamphunter, I'll extend an invite to come up to the NW and get a real idea of what is happening. We can talk to outfitters, ranchers, FWP themselves, houndsmen, hunters, and see what kind of responces we get. If you only have a "handful" of wolves in your area, I can see why you would make a statement like that. When you have over 3 times the number of a non-native species that FWP said was sustainable, we'll see how many deer you boys are taking. I hope, for your sake, it doesn't come to that, for you to understand.

Cody

I am a law abiding citizen. Morally bound. I always try to do the right thing. That being said sometimes doing the right thing requires a semi-auto and a fourteen round magazine.

I will tell you a secret; it is my experience that wolves do not like deer. They like elk sheep moose then stinky deer.
I will make you an offer. You put in for an overpriced Montana elk, deer and wolf, license, and I will take you hunting on the north border and within 40 miles of Yellowstone Park, free! I also bet you that your *** gets really sore before you kill a 300 bull elk or bigger. I will also bet that you see lots of really hungry bears out of their den way longer than normal and a few tracks from a "hand full" of tuned up wolves. This was a world renowned area for great big bulls and a lot of them.
Next we will drive into several human populated areas that have lots of elk and deer and moose, they are the smart game animals that live in town now to stay alive. Yellowstone used to be full of elk and on a summer or fall drive you could see and study hundreds of elk. Now the only large bunches of elk you see are in Mammoth and other populated areas.
My next opinion is people do not be offering game management suggestions about an area that they have zero knowledge about. If you do not know the history of, or spend a bunch of time in an area, how can you have any valid input? So I am here to help you. This is the deal. You pay a truck load of money for a license, and I will take you on the hunt of a life time. You can only shoot a 300 inch or bigger bull elk, good luck seeing a deer but if the rare chance presents itself for a 24 inch or bigger mule deer buck have at it. Wolves are fair game and bring bear spray of your choice; I prefer 12 gauge 00buck.
The only other obligation you have is to write an extensive article to be published in at least 3 pro-hunting publications.

Hahahaha, man that sounds just like here in Idaho!!! Draw a nice late season Bull tag and see lots of young bulls.

You're correct it's about belief, having followed your posts from wolf topic to wolf topic, I don't believe you're an "ethical" hunter, a long range hunter, or a hunter at all. I don't believe you operate from a neutral position regarding wolves as you claim. I don't believe you sincerely wish to share information, I believe your little impotent jabs are intended to sew discord, not foster discussion.
You can believe what you want

You can believe what you want
Swamphunter, we all "believe" you are on the wrong thread, maybe you should start a thread for wolf hunting in a state that you know something about. You've got a lot of homework to do (and some traveling) before you can speak to the issues we face.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.