Securing your account on LongRangeHunting

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
It's never fun to think that your account here on the site may be compromised. However as our community grows in popularity, scammers continue to focus on our home. We work diligently to add new security techniques on the backend, but we need your help as well!

Here are a few things you can do to help keep your account and our community safe from those that wish to do harm to the forum.

Make sure your email is up to date
Please make sure your email is up to date. We can't send you a password reset, or verify who you are if your email isn't up to date. Please check your email and update if appropriate here.

Don't reuse passwords
One of the easiest ways to combat this enemy is not to reuse passwords across multiple sites.

Enable Two-Step Authentication
When you enable Two-Step Authentication it forces an extra security step to verify who you are when you login. Here on the forum, we offer the ability for this via App or an email to be sent to your up to date email address. If you want to enable it, please do so by accessing the dashboard here.

Use a Password Manager
A great password is one, you actually don't know. A Password Manager can help with all of the above and keep you organized with the multiple sites you visit on the internet as well as extra security tools. There are free and paid options for this, so don't let price scare you off, from peace of mind.

Paid options include: 1Password or LastPass both cost $36 a year.
Free options include: LogMeOnce, MyKI, BitWarden

I personally use 1Password, and have for over 10+ years now. I use two step authentication with it and you can as well. Using the feature for scanning a QR code for easier two step authentication. 1Password allows for syncing across multiple devices such as phone, multiple computers, and I can share securely with family and friends if needed.

Happy to answer any questions you might have -

Somehow I must have accidentally unsubscribed. Is it possible to resubscribe without loosing all my posts and information?

Thanks
Scott

I listened to a podcast about internet security and passwords. The host and guests discussed several options to avoid reusing the same password across multiple platforms. The simple solution from one of the guests to enable you to remember multiple passwords was to use a repeat phrase altered for every site.

It is simple

4 letter first segment with a capital letter, single punctuation second segment, 2, 3 or 4 letter website third segment, single punctuation fourth segment and then 3, 4 or 5 digit number fifth segment.

Example for No Name Crédit Union

Abcd-nncu=12345

1st Segment: Abcd
2nd Segment: -
3rd Segment: nncu (no name credit union)
4th Segment: =
5th Segment: 12345

The first can be any easy to remember word, second your choice of punctuation, 3rd the initials of the website/business or forum, 4th your second choice of punctuation and then the final segment is an easy to recall numerical key.

The only thing you need to change about the phrase/password is the middle segment designating the business/entity/forum. It's unique and he claims almost impossible to crack since no two password combinations are identical.

It sounded logical to me and I have kept it in mind, but I am a change my password every 30 days type of guy, since we are forced to do it at work to access secure information on our servers. A generator makes that easier for me and is money well spent to generate a password that is impossible to remember or crack.

It's never fun to think that your account here on the site may be compromised. However as our community grows in popularity, scammers continue to focus on our home. We work diligently to add new security techniques on the backend, but we need your help as well!

Here are a few things you can do to help keep your account and our community safe from those that wish to do harm to the forum.

Please make sure your email is up to date. We can't send you a password reset, or verify who you are if your email isn't up to date. Please check your email and update if appropriate here.

Don't reuse passwords
One of the easiest ways to combat this enemy is not to reuse passwords across multiple sites.

When you enable Two-Step Authentication it forces an extra security step to verify who you are when you login. Here on the forum, we offer the ability for this via App or an email to be sent to your up to date email address. If you want to enable it, please do so by accessing the dashboard here.

Use a Password Manager
A great password is one, you actually don't know. A Password Manager can help with all of the above and keep you organized with the multiple sites you visit on the internet as well as extra security tools. There are free and paid options for this, so don't let price scare you off, from peace of mind.

I personally use 1Password, and have for over 10+ years now. I use two step authentication with it and you can as well. Using the feature for scanning a QR code for easier two step authentication. 1Password allows for syncing across multiple devices such as phone, multiple computers, and I can share securely with family and friends if needed.

I have an old account from 2012 that was still in good standing but had to change it in 2019 can you help with this

Don't reuse passwords

Use a Password Manager

I have an old account from 2012 that was still in good standing but had to change it in 2019 can you help
Going to need more information, such as username.
old one is jobo157 the one I had to create is Joe L Bailey

You're not posting the classifieds?
Yes but it was on the old account and I didn't realize it until it wouldn't let me open pics on other members post said email needed to be updated then I realized that it was the old account if I can keep my old account just change email address to the new email and delete the Joe L Bailey jr account

Yes but it was on the old account and I didn't realize it until it wouldn't let me open pics on other members post said email needed to be updated then I realized that it was the old account if I can keep my old account just change email address to the new email and delete the Joe L Bailey jr account
Chris thank you for your help

Don't reuse passwords

Use a Password Manager

How does a person become a team member, and what is the cost??

Don't reuse passwords

Use a Password Manager

Done. Thanks for the heads up.