Sectioned Bullets

Very interested to hear how you did the sectioning. I have seen some similar sectioned bullets that were simply ground away on a belt sander.
How come some of the lower left heels are slightly rounded?
Great photos, how did you take them?
Thanks for some interesting stuff.
ian

Ian

I needed to hold the bullets to cut them in half with a hacksaw. Some of the bullets rotated a bit before they accepted the hacksaw blade cut, this rotation scuffed the bases on some.

I made a jig from a block of wood and inserted the bullets point first into this drilled hole for the initial cut/slice. I then used an indentation on the outside of the block to hold them on the belt sander. I also tried to use a grinding wheel with a jig but the temperature of the jacket against the wheel melted the lead and ruined any possibility of getting a true representation of the lead to jacket bond.

All-in-all a very interesting time, with the exception of a few cuts, scrapes and a burn from some lead it went very well.

(It's a lot more fun to shoot them than cut them in half.)

For the image(s) I placed the examples (bullets) directly on a flatbed scanner.

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.