Sectioned 30cal bullets. For reference

shawnb

Heres 2 bullets i sectioned tonight. Dont criticize the hack job! I sanded a bit to show the jacket thickness.

Top is 208eldm
Bottom is 212eldx
More to follow in the days to come... I have first run 225eldm, 215 berger, 230 hybrid target as well.
D491CA27-0FA6-4B22-B2A2-CC8CFB402EE6.jpeg
3C24F824-C327-48C3-BB32-AFDE5E31EBF1.jpeg

Hi
Thank you for taking the time to do this.

I was surprised to see that the match bullet has the thinner jacket.

Last edited:
The 208s have always been said to be pretty expansive so i wasnt to surprised. I have a good stock of them so i will be using them for the next year hunting season.

Hi
Thank you for taking the time to do this.

I was surprised to see that the match bullet has the thinner jacket.
FYI, that's basically the common denominator of match bullets.. jackets are as thin as they can be. There's reasons for that to do with consistent density. Might also notice what's more important, the width of the stem on the polymer tip. On the hunting model it's much wider which will initiate expansion more violently. It appears they used a very thick jacket and a very wide polymer tip to allow it to open up at relatively low velocities but to not go completely to pieces at higher impact velocities but I don't know that it's all that effective at serving both masters. Friends of mine in Africa that own game farms have been relaying horror stories of closer range impacts with ELD-X where the bullet is just going completely to pieces and not penetrating very deep. They seem to be best left to longer range shots, outside 300m.

It is my understanding that the Berger match bullets have thicker jacket material than the "hunting" bullets, as the original match bullet jackets were blowing up in long shot strings and with rough gun throats in competition matches. Their original match bullet jackets are now the "hunting bulllet" jackets.

You can,t see the interlock on the eldx. Awesome for bullet integrity!!!! The ablr is a bomb too. Good for very slow and jackrabbits and coyotes

I called berger and hornady and was told berger target had thicker jackets and hornady m (target) had thinner jackets than hunting versions. Wonder why they are opposite??

Thanks for taking the time to do this! I think it explains why I had a dismal experience with the 140 gr eldm from a 6.5x55 swede at low velocity. the nose and plastic tip aren't designed to expand and I didn't have enough fps to deform the tip very well and therefore it didn't do much, the eldx would expand way better even though it has the thicker jacket.

Good stuff!

From what i have seen the 212 is a great bullets. Bears, moose, and deer from pretty much putting the muzzle on the fur and pulking the triggerand out.

But lets not start a bashing thread. Once i cut some more open and put them side by side we can get a good look at jacket thickness and such. Just trying to make an informative thread so people can see the difference between bullets they want to shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.