Secret to getting Nosler ABLRs to shoot?

Engineering101

So how do you get these things to shoot? I think they are too soft for everyday hunting but I would like to use them for long range practice as they have decent BCs (even if inflated). Bergers are pretty easy to dial in. I just stick them on the lands or thereabouts and instant 0.5 MOA. No so much with the ABLRs. Is there anyone out there who has figured out the recipe? Do you have to drive them hard - or not? What jump do they like? How wide in velocity is the typical sweet spot? What kind of neck tension do they prefer?

Nosler recommends 40 to 60 thousandths off lands. I got some quarter minute groups at 100 yards using that formula. Shooting same load at 300 yards shot terrible.

101, from what reloaders have said most haven't had great luck at longer distances. Some rifles like them some don't, but that holds true for other bullets as well. If you have a bunch, perhaps sell them to someone who's rifle likes them rather waste a pile of powder. Good luck

Interesting that folks are seeing the same problem at distance with these bullets. The 129 gr out of my 6.5-06 shot one hole groups at a 100 yards. Stretched them out to 600 and I had 12" groups with vertical and horizontal spread. Thought it was just a bad day shooting for me. i loaded another group to try again but havnt shot them yet. I loaded .020 off

Guys - I'm sensing a theme here. Namely these bullets which are true long range bullets based on how soft they are - ARE NOT ACCURATE AT LONGER RANGES! Am I getting that wrong? I can tell you that I loaded up a bunch of them in a 7mm-08 for a buddies daughter as a low recoil deer load. And they were impressively accurate with her shooting at 100 yards off the bench. Plus she hammered a nice doe with them from 50 yards. The muzzle velocity on those rounds was 2,000 fps. When I put them in a long range rig and jack up the velocity to normal magnum levels they kind of do 1 to 2 MOA. I haven't messed with them a lot but now I might have to take them on as a challenge - 0.5 MOA or bust! Seems like Nosler is way off the track with these bullets. Hornady's ELD-Xs should eat their lunch. They shoot great with little effort.

My Remington 700 CDL in 280 Rem loves the 150 gainers. I shot one of the best 3 shot groups ever at 100 yds. I then took this load out to 300. 3 shots into just over 1.5 inches. I used this load to take a small deer at 100 yds.The deer never took a step.The bullet look out the lungs and the off shoulder and was not recovered. I concluded that this a good bullet for deer at 100+,but it was too soft for short range shots.

Attachments

• 20170204_094629.jpg
    20170204_094629.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 144
Shortmagman

The bullets you are using are the same ones I mentioned. What jump gave you that great group? And yes, these are true long range bullets. If you are not launching them slow like I did or shooting 400 yards plus I'd use something else. They are supposed to expand at 1,300 fps so they have to be soft.

101. My gun has a long throat so my jump is .225 inches. My COL is 3.305. I have tried these bullets in other rifles with less than stellar results. I have shot the 129 grain in two 260 Rems and my Remington Model 7 shot them very well. I just don't know that there is any magic formula.

shortmagman

That is still good to know that they can shoot well when jumping a long way. Every piece of the puzzle helps.

So with the handle "shortmagman" why aren't you running those bullets in a 7mm WSM?

Great guestion! I don't own a 7mmWSM. I do own a 7mm SAUM . My 280 just shoots so great and as I get older it is easier on my shoulder.

shortmagman

I noted that in your previous post but I thought you would figure it out sooner or later- like when you looked at the box and it said 129 grains. On the other hand make sure you don't mix up powders which I have done and that can ruin your whole day.

101, Thanks, Sometimes I do worry that I load too many calibers with too many different bullets and too many different powers. It could be easy to make a mistake.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.