secret backpacking recipes???

Elkwonder

OK guys, lets here the secrets that you keep about backpack hunting food. I have tried the mountain house, and like some of them, but I bet there are other meals that are just as light and easy to prepare, at a fraction of the cost. I know many carry instant oatmeal, but what are some of the other things that you have discovered along the way.I know you can get instant loaded baked potatoes in the package for about 1.50 and they are awsome. You can also make meals of your own using instant potatoe flakes, as well as noodles and such. As for meat, you can get a stick of salami or peperoni that doesnt way a whole lot, and will last a whole trip if rationed correctly. I was also thinking about cured ham. A little would go along way in the mountains, and paired with a baked potatoe packet would be nice. What have you all discovered to take with you to the mountains,that is light, and cheaper that mountain house. Thanks for shareing!!

Think Carbs and Calories... Make sure the payoff is worth the weight of the item you're packing..

Aside from the obvious Mt. House types of backpacking food I like..
Cup-0f-soups
Oatmeal
power bars
candy bars
Peanut butter
Cheese crackers
Tortilla's (good bread substitute and good with peanut butter)
Canned tuna
Jerky
Instant coffee/cocoa
Gatorade mix

I have heard good things about Couscous for packing, I will try it this year..

Get a buddy in National guard and get hold of MRE's Most of the time they are free. Ramen Noodles are good and high in Carbs. Two of my light weight ideas.

Most MRE's are 1500 to 2500 Calories per meal as they are for the TROOPS that are on the move and BURNING up the calories fine if you are doing a lot of walking and climbing on your hunting trip so use wisely.

I dehydrate all my own food. MT House is too expensive, the portions are always too small and they also tend to have a ton of salt. Two of my standbys are a chicken, rice and broccoli thing and also Shepard's pie. Couscous and instant rice are your friends. I carry an old coffee travel mug with the handle cut off that I use as a cozy.

For the chicken dish I boil chicken meat which helps remove the fat. Cook it in a broth like Mexican food and it comes out real good. Once it's cooked pat it dry on paper towels and then put it in the dehydrator until it's dry. I also dry out steamed broccoli and grind the two of them up along with dried onions and garlic. Add some instant rice in to a ziplock and will keep in the fridge for a season. Once on the trail I simply boil some water in my cup over a backpacking stove and then add it to the dried food inside my travel mug. Put the lid on and in 10 min. it's perfectly cooked. I carry a little bottle of olive oil to add as well.

For Shepard's pie I dehydrate peas and corn and then some lean ground beef that has been browned in a pan with onion/garlic and then patted on paper towels. Add to a ziplock with some dried mashed potatoes and follow the same procedure as above.

For breakfast I use instant oatmeal or granola and powdered milk. Lunch is usually trail mix and maybe some bagels to begin with. A little instant coffee, the Starbucks ones are real good and maybe a flask of whiskey once in a while and I'm set.

I dehydrate all my own food. MT House is too expensive, the portions are always too small and they also tend to have a ton of salt. Two of my standbys are a chicken, rice and broccoli thing and also Shepard's pie. Couscous and instant rice are your friends. I carry an old coffee travel mug with the handle cut off that I use as a cozy.

For the chicken dish I boil chicken meat which helps remove the fat. Cook it in a broth like Mexican food and it comes out real good. Once it's cooked pat it dry on paper towels and then put it in the dehydrator until it's dry. I also dry out steamed broccoli and grind the two of them up along with dried onions and garlic. Add some instant rice in to a ziplock and will keep in the fridge for a season. Once on the trail I simply boil some water in my cup over a backpacking stove and then add it to the dried food inside my travel mug. Put the lid on and in 10 min. it's perfectly cooked. I carry a little bottle of olive oil to add as well.

For Shepard's pie I dehydrate peas and corn and then some lean ground beef that has been browned in a pan with onion/garlic and then patted on paper towels. Add to a ziplock with some dried mashed potatoes and follow the same procedure as above.

For breakfast I use instant oatmeal or granola and powdered milk. Lunch is usually trail mix and maybe some bagels to begin with. A little instant coffee, the Starbucks ones are real good and maybe a flask of whiskey once in a while and I'm set.

This is the type info I was looking for....Thanks...... BTW what type of dehydrator do you have??

This is the type info I was looking for....Thanks...... BTW what type of dehydrator do you have??

I'd have to go dig it out but it's just a cheap plastic circular one you can find at WalMart or Target but it works fine. My brother has a really nice metal square tray one that seems like it would be much more durable for regular use. I use it a few times a year to make backpacking food and dry some fruit and it's still running fine after 5 years or so.

Here is my favorite website for dehydrated backpacking foods. It shows a great way to package your meals for long trips. click on the packing and storing link on the left.

I love good food and was always bummed at eating mac and cheese and ramen noodles till I discovered my dehydrator and its uses. This site helped clear up my thinking on how I pack foods and eat on my hunts.

Backpacking Food for the Soul

There are a lot of websites with some great original recipes I'm sure you will find as I did that you can eat exceptionally well out in the back areas.

Best of luck and enjoy.

Oatmeal:
Everyone here cites Oatmeal for breakfast...I pre-package all my own oatmeal using Quaker old fashioned rolled oats, not the instant--I think the flavor is better.

That said, if it isn't berry season (depends where you are) you can do a couple things to make these more interesting and varied.

I like freeze-dried fruit or berries berries like rasberries, blueberries, apples and Peaches will make your breakfast something you not only look forward to but you get added vitamins and calories without much weight penalty.

Next favorite is pecans and brown sugar or walnuts and brown sugar--add a little salt 1/8tsp to make up for the electrolytes you're going to lose in your morning hike...plus it's just a little tastier. If you can find maple sugar or make your own it's also a nice variation.

Grits:
The ONLY place you should ever make or eat instant grits is while backpacking. Do not do this at home, any self respecting southerner would have a &^*t fit (I'm a Yankee--living in Virginia). I carry dried cheeze like real grated parmasean or reggiano - add fresh cracked pepper and pre-cooked/crumbled bacon and you've got a pretty good breakfast if you like something hearty rather than sweet for breakfast. You can find maple grits if you like a sweet version, but I stick to plain, cheeze or butter instant grits.

I don't like freeze dried eggs, but if you need/want some protein you can go this route...I think it tastes like crap--even the ones in MRE's make me a little nauseaus...

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.