Seating off the lands 338 Rum

338RUML

Hello I am trying to get a little info for seating depth on my 338 RUM XCR2 factory rifle I am going to be trying 300smks and 285 A-max hornadys and I have no clue how far off the lands I should seat these lets go with the 300smk for depths any info or pointers would be greatly appreciated thanks!

size and deprime a case, with the primer OUT and NO powder lube the inside of the neck and seat a bullet in it just enough to hold it in place. Measure it then chamber it. As the bolt closes it will use the rifling as a seat die and seat the bullets ojive on the lands. Slowly eject the dummy and measure the OAL now subtract 30thou from that length. That is a good starting point for that bullet in that rifle and no other.
Now you can either pull and use that bullet or seat it to the less than 30thou and keep it for a die set up point

I have the same rifle and I load to the magazine length. The bullets are still around .090 off the lands. If you have a stock XCR II the only way to get closer is to single shot it.

Thanks for the responses guys i ordered a 338 rum modified case is it better to use one of those and an oal guage than just starting a bullet on a standard case and using the bolt to seat it?

All the sporting rifles in various calibers I've reloaded ammo for have several hundredths of an inch spread in bullet jump distance to the rifling where accuracy is the same.

On the other hand, if I judged accuracy by the first 3 or 5 rounds of a 20-shot test group for each load, I never got the same results each time. Neither does anybody else.

So, I encourage folks to shoot at least 20 shots per test group. 3- or 5-shot test groups have way less than a 50% chance of representing what all shots of that load will shoot inside of. If your shot start to walk around as the barrel heats up, that's because it's fit poorly to the receiver. Have the patience to let it cool down between shots so you'll see what accuracy is you can count on all the time. Judge accuracy by the largest groups fired. The smallest ones happen when all the variables cancel each other out for the most part.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.