Seating itty... bitty bullets

DreamMaker

I'm using Redding Custom dies (full, neck & seating) and I'm spending way to much time getting 32gr .204 bullets to sit upright and hold still while I seat them. Cutting a deeper inside chamfer helps, but it also messes up case length. Are there any tricks to get em to sit straight and hold still for seating, or is this just part of the game.:rolleyes:

I'm using Redding Custom dies (full, neck & seating) and I'm spending way to much time getting 32gr .204 bullets to sit upright and hold still while I seat them. Cutting a deeper inside chamfer helps, but it also messes up case length. Are there any tricks to get em to sit straight and hold still for seating, or is this just part of the game.:rolleyes:

LMAO, I think this is just part of it. This exactly why the smallest thing I shoot is a .243. It is awefully aggrevating isn't it. There may be a cure for it but I never figured it out.

-Nathan

Nathan, I'm glad you saw the humor in my post. I'm loading Hornady 32gr V-Max and with them having a flat base it's been a real challenge! ****... I even considered putting them in upside down, but I don't think they'll be very accurate:D

Boat tail bullets aren't nearly as much of a problem. I really like shooting the .204 Ruger, particularly bullets <32 grains, because they are so accurate and they really scream.

Maybe some wise olé sage will enlighten us!

There is an old trick of cutting about .002 off the neck with a neck trimmer about .050 down from the top of the case.

When fired and resized, the cut will invert and be on the inside of the neck and offer a litttle guide for flat base bullets to help with alignment.

Try it with 3-5 cases and see if this doesn't help.

BH

There is an old trick of cutting about .002 off the neck with a neck trimmer about .050 down from the top of the case.

When fired and resized, the cut will invert and be on the inside of the neck and offer a litttle guide for flat base bullets to help with alignment.

Try it with 3-5 cases and see if this doesn't help.

BH

That's a clever trick, but it won't work help with the intial loading and would have to be repeated after an inverted case has be fired. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the info.

In my dreams I visualized a tacky compond that would lightly stick the bullet to the case rim, lubricates the seating process, not contaminate the charge and dries to an inert film that seals the round. Hmmm gives me an idealightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.