Seating Depth Informative Thread

Jud96

I wanted to create this thread to help new and old shooters with some tips and tricks I have learned through testing and experience. In my opinion and experience, seat length is the biggest factor in a load and rifle's group size. Powder charge controls your velocity and seating depth controls your accuracy, for the most part. There are of course rules to this and there are exceptions, but generally speaking, seating depth controls your group size and pattern if everything else is in check.

Here I have posted 3 pictures in consecutive order, from worse to best. All 3 of these groups were fired from the same rifle, same shooter, same load, other than seat length change. This was out of a 100% stock Remington 700 SPS Stainless 7mm Rem Mag with the only modifications being a free floated barrel with aluminum pillars in the stock and Devcon bedding. The first target shows a target face with a 2" large circle with a 1" small circle in the center. The other two targets are different and have a 1" outside circle and 0.500" inside circle. This is just a reference. Pay attention to how the shots begin to tighten up though.

What we see here is the difference in 3 different seating depths. You can see how the group slowly gets tighter as the seat length changes. In this case the further we worked back the tighter it got. There's a total change of 0.010" in seat length between these 3 targets. The first is 0.040 off, the second is 0.045 off, and the third is 0.050 off. The final group could possibly see improvement with changing seating depth 0.002 shorter or longer, but for a factory rifle we were satisfied with this. This rifle shot all over the place with anything closer than 0.040" off the rifling.

I recommend doing a "rough" seating depth test starting 0.010 off the rifling and working back in 0.010 increments until you find a group that is noticeably tighter. I typically recommend working from 0.010 off to 0.050 off, if you don't have magazine restrictions and other issues. When you find the length that shoots best, shoot groups with bullets that are 0.005 longer and 0.005 shorter. If you still aren't satisfied or just want to tinker, work in and out in 0.002 increments.

I highly, highly recommend using a Hornady OAL gauge and bullet comparator to measure your ammo from your cartridge base to bullet ogive. This will give a much more accurate length than measuring from cartridge base to bullet meplat (tip). I can further post on this with other rifles, but my point is, don't give up on a rifle, bullet, powder, or load until you tune your seat length.
E9080645-0DD4-4A48-8CED-F5857EE1CAB6.png
52499D0B-499D-4866-BA22-160B97141E94.png
B844B9EE-EAD7-453C-B1F9-23384AACE211.png

Very good post! Thank you Sir. I have experience the same results regarding seating depth. Just recently had a 6.5 SAUM I built on a Savage for my son go from 1.5" groups to .250 groups with a seating depth test. It also did not like anything close to the lands. However I have found some powder combinations that did not shoot well regardless of seating depth. I have also found some bullets won't shoot in certain rifles no matter what. But that is rare and more rare in a custom barrel.

Well written and spot on, every chamber can be different but the rifle will tell you where it likes the bullet seated. Was supposed to be up shooting a ladder test of different seating depths but my gunshop closed early so its tomorrow.

I finally got to experience this first hand last weekend. Loading for a 6.5cm with berger 140 hunting vld's using h4350. Followed the directions for the berger test, found my best group was 0.130 off, and as Mike said now on to fine tuning with powder adjustments

I have tried the same test may times with my various competition rifles, I usually start at .010" jam and move backwards with 3 shot groups. When I find the best OAL, I write it down and begin a new sequence with another powder and primer.

PS - I rely on marks on the bullet in my dummy round. The bullet comparators are not consistent.

This is informative. I wonder what the reason is for seating depth being such a significant contributor to accuracy from a physics standpoint. I'm wondering if it has to do with pressure dynamics in the case after detonation? At ignition, the bullet breaks free from its initial neck tension and then encounters resistance again after the "jump" when it encounters the lands. It would seem that this would effect pressure in the case and the consistency of the powder burn? It would also seem that a shorter "jump" would result in the bullet achieving "traction" with the lands more readily and closer to the throat? Are these contributing factors or am I all wet?

I always use an AOL gage and without exception seat all my stuff .015-.020" off and get .25 to .50 MOA results out to 300 yds. I don't see any reason to mess with it much but I'm not shooting out past 400 yards.

Thanks for the post!

It seemed like I was chasing my tail in the past with only powder charge/type changes. A load development thread here on LRH had a .030" seating depth test done right after finding the max pressure.. Game changer.

It is fun to watch your groups shrink and/or expand with coarse seating depth changes. Find the best seat depth, then do a ladder test. If you want to try to get more out of it, then fine tune by .005" increments around your best previous seating depth.

FWIW my seat depths in various rifles have vary from .05" off lands to .130". I used to believe you had to be right on the lands for accuracy, but accuracy is dependent on each individual rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.