Seating Depth for Rem M700 Police .308

doherp

Have just brought M700 Police in .308. I am a little perplexed by the length of the throat on the rifle. I have always loaded the projectile just of the land. However with the .308 I have no chance of loading the 150 - 155gr Sierras out that far . Any advice for a stuffed Aussie. Cheers

LOL. I have a 700 VSF that when I used my Stoney Point seating depth gauge with a 175 Gr Sierra Match King bullet with it to check seating depth the bullet was out of the case when it touched. Thats one long throat. :( Finally gave up and shot it with loads that were max for the magazine and it shoots just fine. Groups at 100 yds were right at .250 so I just left it alone and quit worrying. If it shoots don't fix it is the motto of the day I guess. I have been thinking of trying some of the 200 grain Accubonds to see if they have enough leg to touch but if they do I won't be able to get them in the magazine anyway. Darn thing just shoots too good to change things.

doherp, I have a 700 that is the 5R Milspec and was amazed at first that it had as much freebore as it does. I load the 175 SMK to magazine length with a .135 jump and have shot .1's at 100 yds and .2's at 200 yds. It's a bug hole type gun. More importantly than the freebore is how square the action and the chamber are. My guess is that you will be just fine the way it is.

+1 for the first two.you should be OK with them seated at 2.800-2.830.my 5R all so likes them at 2.800 with a 168gn or 175gn smk.but will shoot them at a 2.855 just as good.so give it a shot and just see what happpens.

Have just brought M700 Police in .308. I am a little perplexed by the length of the throat on the rifle. I have always loaded the projectile just of the land. However with the .308 I have no chance of loading the 150 - 155gr Sierras out that far . Any advice for a stuffed Aussie. Cheers

Load longer bullets like the 175SMK.

I really didnt think my 700P in .308 was all that bad. It shot very well at mag length 2.83 and in the lands with a 168 SMK w/ a COAL of 2.91

I'm now having it rebarreld using a custom reamer ground to my dummy round. Hornady brass, 155 Lapua Scenar loaded to 2.875. The reamer will have me in contact with the lands loaded to this length.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.