seating depth for 6mm 107 gr MK

wannabee

I posted some time back about reasonable accuracy from my 6-284. I didn't get any response, so i started thinking(whoa), shouldn't I seat the 107 MK just off the lands, or maybe right at them? The smith who chambered my rifle made the throat so long I can't even reach the lands. Is this very common? And how hard is it to fix?

If you cannot touch the lands with a MK, then no VLD will be even close to that.

A good knowledgable LR/1K gunsmith will throat for the type of bullet you are going to shoot. If you cannot touch on a MK, I doubt you will find anything that will touch. Only fix is rechamber with shorter throat by a different smith.

Take two stoney point ogive checkers $40 that clip to caliper blades and measure the length of bearing surface on a MK and a VLD like a Berger or JLK. On my 6.5 the JLK is .112 shorter, which means I have to seat the JLK .112 out further in the neck to touch the lands. Plus most VLDs like to be well into the lands as much as .020-.030 while the MK tends to like just touching.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts