Seating depth for 208gr A-max?

Oliveralan

Hello,

I'm loading 208gr A-maxs in my .308win with RL17. What depth should I seat them to? Or try seating them to? Do they like being close to the lands? If anyone has any experience with seating depth for this bullet, any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Oliver

hey Oliver the gent at snipershide was setting them at around 3.000even might try 2.900 or close to it.and if your chamber is a little long and you still can get enough of the neck to hold onto the bullet this will give you a little more case volume to help out with the compressing or crushing of the powder.

Johnboy,

I agree, they must be seated long to save case capacity, but I'm wondering about what distance from the lands, jump, close or jammed. The way my throat is cut they touch the lands at 2.975" COAL. So I'm wondering what seating depth I should try for load work up. I did a preliminary pressure test and some 3shot groups using a COAL of 2.875" because at that time I didn't know the length of the throat. Groups weren't too great. I'm just wondering if anyone can recommed a distance off (or in) the lands I should try.

Thanks,
Oliver

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.