Seating Depth Berger 230 Hybrid OTM

CENTURY

Due to magazine length in my 30-378 the OAL is limited to 3.69. With having to seat the 230 OTM Hybrid that deep do you think it will affect the accuracy? I have read that the 230 OTM is not as sensative on seating depths ( bullet jump ). Before I purchase and try them I was hoping to get input from you guys that are actually using them. After reading Broz. posts on how well the 230 OTM performs on game I would really like to switch to these.

Broz., you suggested starting at 3.80 but my magazine is too short.
Thanks for all your real life shooting information.

.690" is a short mag box for a 30-378, is this a Mark V or something else?

Anyway, 3.800" is what will feed through an Accumark 30-378 mag box. You still have a ton of free bore in the 30-378 so I would just give it a try.

The 230's we shot in the factory accumark shot very well even with all the freebore. There are some reports of them shooting very well in the 300 RUM's too which also has freebore.

Our accuracy was running 1/2 to 3/4 moa from that factory 30-378 at 500 yards using H-1000. I feel this larger bullet will help with efficiecy ratio of the large 30-378 case which in some loads shows deminishing returns for the volume of powder.

Jef

I use the 230g OTM tactical bullet in my 30/338 win mag. I wasn't able to find an accurate load at magazine length in that rifle. I chose to single feed in the end to get to an accurate load. In all truth once in get through the stock of 230g I have I'll most likely go to the 210g Berger VLD hunting bullet. I can only get the 230 to shoot with accuracy at 2,800fps, so trading away some weight for velocity I may end up a little flatter. YMMV

In all honesty, it depends on how far you plan on shooting out to. If you are going to shoot out past 1000 yds then that 230 gr Berger is going to give you better results than the 210 even if you are getting 200fps more with the 210. That extra 200 fps is nothing when you are shooting really long distances where the higher BC and more weight take precedence. Now if it were going 500 or 600 fps faster then I would look at the stats and see how it works out. Honestly though the speed that you are going to get from a bullet that is 20 grs lighter isnt going to do anything for you if you are shooting past 1000. If you are shooting under 1k then yes it may be more beneficial for you to go with the faster bullet.

According to my estimates, which may well be not absolutely accurate, in my rifle the 210g vld has equal or better velocity and wind drift out to some where between 700 and 750 yards plus or minus. After that the markedly better BC of the 230 takes over and asserts itself as a better choice. Here in my neck of the woods the longest range available is 600 yards so I've never been able to validate predicted point of aim vs point of actual impact. I have found the 230 to behave actually slightly better than predicted to that range at least. I got all googly eyed with the wonderful BC when the 230 tactical OTM came on the market shortly after I purchased my rifle and just HAD to have some of them, so i bought a few hundred. I'd love to have a chance to send some off out to 1k and further validate the load. In all seriousness at the ranges I allow myself to shoot at the 210 would be "better" I haven't even attempted any shot beyond 600 with it but would love to. My thoughts on switching to the 210 are rooted in the fact that I just don't even try anything beyond 600 as it is not validated and therefor IMO not ethical to "tryout"'on game. I just dropped my rifle at the gunsmiths to have a KDF muzzlebrake mounted so I'll be without my baby for a few weeks. Good comments gents! YMMV

According to my estimates, which may well be not absolutely accurate, in my rifle the 210g vld has equal or better velocity and wind drift out to some where between 700 and 750 yards plus or minus. After that the markedly better BC of the 230 takes over and asserts itself as a better choice. Here in my neck of the woods the longest range available is 600 yards so I've never been able to validate predicted point of aim vs point of actual impact. I have found the 230 to behave actually slightly better than predicted to that range at least. I got all googly eyed with the wonderful BC when the 230 tactical OTM came on the market shortly after I purchased my rifle and just HAD to have some of them, so i bought a few hundred. I'd love to have a chance to send some off out to 1k and further validate the load. In all seriousness at the ranges I allow myself to shoot at the 210 would be "better" I haven't even attempted any shot beyond 600 with it but would love to. My thoughts on switching to the 210 are rooted in the fact that I just don't even try anything beyond 600 as it is not validated and therefor IMO not ethical to "tryout"'on game. I just dropped my rifle at the gunsmiths to have a KDF muzzlebrake mounted so I'll be without my baby for a few weeks. Good comments gents! YMMV

I agree with you 100%. Unless you cant get the 210 to shoot very well :D

It looks as though I've hijacked the OP's thread. My apologies to the OP. As to the seating depth question in the OP. Yes IMO the posted seating depth to allow for magazine feeding will in all likelihood exihibit a couple problems for the OP that will be contrary to a reasonable level of accuracy. First the bullet will intrude IMO too far into the otherwise available powder space and compromise otherwise available velocity. Second, the bullets excessive, IMO, jump to the rifling will present a great opportunity for the bullet to yaw as it enters the rifling inconsistently from shot to shot. Again sorry for the miss-direction of the thread gentlemen. YMMV

I am watching this post with interest. I am loading for a 300 RUM with the Berger 230 gr Hybrid target bullets and am wondering how others handle the calibers long freebore. I am seating .030" of the lands for my first loads with a COAL of 3.914. A max load of Retumbo as recommended by Berger is giving tidy 3 shot 100 yard groups of 1". Rifle is a Remington SPS stainless factory bedded in a boyds stock with timney trigger.

So I have a WBY MK5 with freebore and what is the minimum amount of bullet to leave in the case?
Also I have some 230 gn hybrids and some H1000 what load have you found the best as I have booked a 1200 yard rang for Wednesday and would really appreciate any help you can offer to tighten up my group

Christian

Are you hoping to magazine feed or are you thinking in absolute terms? In a single loaded bench only setup you can seat the bullet out to within a .1" of the boattail on the bearing surface or until you get to the rifling. Only useful for load and shoot with no intention of carrying the gun as there is not sufficient neck tension to hold the bullet long term. You could end up with an action full of powder if you need to remove a loaded round as well. In my use of the 230 tactical OTM I've not found it necessary to get to carried away chasing the lands. That being said I am exceeding magazine length mostly because the shape of the bullet forward of the ogive being so much longer than "regular" bullets. YMMV

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.