seating consistency problem

You can eliminate the dings in new brass mouths by running them thru an expander mandrel in a 7/8 x 14 body sold by Sinclair or K&M; about $30. Even if you don't turn necks, this will make them more consistent when passed thru the bushing.

The brass is brand new so I did not think to resize it.
Forgive my ignorance - I consider my knowledge just past beginner when it comes to reloading. Is that something that should be done automatically with new brass or just when there are issues.

You can eliminate the dings in new brass mouths by running them thru an expander mandrel in a 7/8 x 14 body sold by Sinclair or K&M; about $30. Even if you don't turn necks, this will make them more consistent when passed thru the bushing.
yep, i do them all.
i wouldnt consider loading them without sizing. some are pretty dinged up...

A lyman M die is alot cheaper than the k&M and works perfectly...I have both. Re the 77 grain load with the 180ttsx....I will be shocked if this winds up a "max" load.....he'll probably wind up at 80-81 grains as hodgdon lists 79 as max with a 200 grainer.

MN Hunter .........

I encountered the same thing you did, and then I found the cause. Check this link, and you'll see how I discovered it. Bullet Shape When bullets are made on different machines, the ogive can be quite different, even when they appear identical. This is especially common when switching to a different box (or different lot) of bullets.

- Innovative

All
Thanks again for the input. I am traveling on business this week. This weekend I will do some experinmenting and let you know the results.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.