Seating bullets with free bored barrel

Pa Grizz

When your barrel is free bored where you can not seat the bullet to touch the lands without the bullet falling out of the brass would you start off by seating the bullet where it is using all of the neck

Re: Seating depth with a free floated barrel

Did you mean long throated? If so, myself I start at mag length.

I load load for a few Weatherby's with the old freebore lengths, 270, 300, 340 and 375. The 375 runs 1/2" of freebore, accuracy is very very good despite the long jump.
I load to within .010" of max mag length and work BACKWARDS from there in .005" increments until I find a suitably accuracte length.
Never have I had any accuracy issues with long freebore, in fact, my 300 Win Mag is long throated so I can seat bullets out further and it is BR accurate. I use it for F-Class Open and it is very competitive.

Cheers.
gun)

With standard style bullets I will generally start at SAAMI COAL This was the case with three Remington Milspecss in 308 I have, and still own, they all shot .5MOA with the Federal Match 168/175 factory loads, and better with my hand loads that were seated to the same COAL. With VLD's I will seat to .010 less then magazine length to start.

With standard style bullets I will generally start at SAAMI COAL This was the case with three Remington Milspecss in 308 I have, and still own, they all shot .5MOA with the Federal Match 168/175 factory loads, and better with my hand loads that were seated to the same COAL. With VLD's I will seat to .010 less then magazine length to start.
I bought another 300 win mag on a 98 Mauser action that started out a 8mm..The other ones I have already had the mags worked on .Before I do anything to this one I want to how it shoots with bergers,but I tried a 215 and can not touch the lands.Thats why I would like to know how some of you would seat it using the whole length of the neck or less

Being a .300 Win mag, I would use 95% of the neck at least. Its pretty short to start with. Seating bullets way out there could produce runout if there not supported by the neck.

I bought another 300 win mag on a 98 Mauser action that started out a 8mm..The other ones I have already had the mags worked on .Before I do anything to this one I want to how it shoots with bergers,but I tried a 215 and can not touch the lands.Thats why I would like to know how some of you would seat it using the whole length of the neck or less
Pa Grizz,
The 215 Berger Match is a HYBRID bullet and very tolerant of jump. Start at magazine length and work out of the neck in .002-.005 increments at the lowest powder charge listed for your bullet/powder/cartridge combination. Once the seating depth accuracy node is found then work you load back up in 1/2 grain increments until you get to 2 grains below MAX then reduce to 1/10th grain increments to find your velocity accuracy node. As far as our VLD bullets are concerned, they can be jumped with great success and unless the rifle likes it. Do not have to be jammed into or on the lands to shoot. YOUR rifle determines velocity and seating depth likes and dislikes as Mikecr stated. If your MAUSER is their long action you probably have a lot of magazine length to work with. Thanks for using our bullets sir!

Pa Grizz,
The 215 Berger Match is a HYBRID bullet and very tolerant of jump. Start at magazine length and work out of the neck in .002-.005 increments at the lowest powder charge listed for your bullet/powder/cartridge combination. Once the seating depth accuracy node is found then work you load back up in 1/2 grain increments until you get to 2 grains below MAX then reduce to 1/10th grain increments to find your velocity accuracy node. As far as our VLD bullets are concerned, they can be jumped with great success and unless the rifle likes it. Do not have to be jammed into or on the lands to shoot. YOUR rifle determines velocity and seating depth likes and dislikes as Mikecr stated. If your MAUSER is their long action you probably have a lot of magazine length to work with. Thanks for using our bullets sir!
I use a lot of your bullets 25-06,270,280,30-06,300wsm,300rum and 338 win mag I never had a barrel free bored this far.I can put a 215 just far where it just does hold in the case and it does not touch the lands.A 180 factory load just does fit in the mag so I might have to use it as a single shot

I use a lot of your bullets 25-06,270,280,30-06,300wsm,300rum and 338 win mag I never had a barrel free bored this far.I can put a 215 just far where it just does hold in the case and it does not touch the lands.A 180 factory load just does fit in the mag so I might have to use it as a single shot
Pa Grizz,
That's kind of close. One caliber at least in the case neck for a hunting rifle is minimum I believe. Try seating it to magazine length and working out. Instead of starting long and working back into the case MAY be the best way to get this done.

Pa Grizz,
That's kind of close. One caliber at least in the case neck for a hunting rifle is minimum I believe. Try seating it to magazine length and working out. Instead of starting long and working back into the case MAY be the best way to get this done.[/QUOTE.I was planning to at least have it seated in the neck of the case,but wanted some advise from some wiser than myself on this matter

Pa Grizz,
That's kind of close. One caliber at least in the case neck for a hunting rifle is minimum I believe. Try seating it to magazine length and working out. Instead of starting long and working back into the case MAY be the best way to get this done.[/QUOTE.I was planning to at least have it seated in the neck of the case,but wanted some advise from some wiser than myself on this matter
Pa Grizz,
I don't know about the "wiser" thing Pa LOL !! Keep us in the loop as you test.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts