seat depth

Nighthawk

As long as a person has control over the cartridge overal legnth of his round with space in the mag box would it be better to seat the bullet right after the shoulder ends or where the neck ends and the shoulder starts to have more capacity?

Seat them where they shoot the best.
smile.gif

Start at max COAL (bullet on lands) and work your way back until you find the "sweet spot". If the base is seated too far into the case, you are exerting (and wasting) valuable pressure on a Y axial plane and basically "compressing" the base of the bullet rather than using that same, wasted, energy on propelling the bullet forward.

When you load a round into the lands how do you know if the bullet moves into the case a little? If it does wouldn't it be a little different for each round? What happens to pressure when loaded into the lands?

sticking the bullets around .010 into lands shouldnt move the bullets back into the case providing you have good neck tension,it will just engrave them a bit.as far presuure goes with sticking them into the lands,when i work up loads i usually start in the lands and work my my way back.i will start around .010 into the lands and use the ladder method,stepping up the powder until i see a sweet spot there[good velocities,low sd,and a degree of accuracy],while checking for pressure signs. once i find a good spot for the powder, i move the bullets back in .003 increments to find the sweet spot for seating.if i lose velocity when moving them back or lose the sweet spot on the powder i simply work back up using the ladder method again looking for that sweet spot.my-2-dave

Dave hit it right on the money. This is pretty much the way I do it as well. Pressure will build faster if the bullet is right on the lands as you will have no bullet "jump" to relieve a small amount of pressure in the case and you may see some minor extraction problems. Best way to avoid is to reduce the charge when seating in the lands and increase to recommended levels as you pull back off the lands. Good luck.

TH

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.