Searching for .700 diameter 2 or 3 port muzzle brakes

aramarine6

Apparently my google search skills suck. I'm looking for a 5/8 x 24 threaded brake that will match up with a Bergara Ridge rifle, which according to Bergara's specs has a .700 muzzle. 2 or 3 port would be preferred as well as self timing. I cant stand the look of giant brakes at the end of hunting barrel, so if there is anyone that knows of any companies that produce something like this it would be greatly appreciated.

Apparently my google search skills suck. I'm looking for a 5/8 x 24 threaded brake that will match up with a Bergara Ridge rifle, which according to Bergara's specs has a .700 muzzle. 2 or 3 port would be preferred as well as self timing. I cant stand the look of giant brakes at the end of hunting barrel, so if there is anyone that knows of any companies that produce something like this it would be greatly appreciated.
just in case you did not know bergara sells a brake for it you might not like the looks though

I don't think you're going to find a 5/8" brake with .700 o.d.

With threads at .625 +/-, you're only left with a wall thickness of +/- .037- which ain't enough.

Any smith (or anyone with a lathe, for that matter) can turn down a .750 brake to .700- but again, I wouldn't do it because of the lack of wall thickness.

I think .750 is as skinny as you're gonna get for a 5/8" brake- but if you find one, post back...

I bought two from Kimber $89.each

Any smith (or anyone with a lathe, for that matter) can turn down a .750 brake to .700- but again, I wouldn't do it because of the lack of wall thickness.

I think .750 is as skinny as you're gonna get for a 5/8" brake- but if you find one, post back...

This.

I make my own brakes, so on the thinner barrels, I make them with 9/16X32 thread so I have thicker walls. For your For your application with a barrel already threaded, if you can try to find a smith or machninest who can make a counter bored brake that fits over the barrel and butts up up against the muzzle. I make the brake body, bore it out .020" larger than the bullet, bore it out and thread it. then, I'll counter bore it so fits over the muzzle about 1/2", leaving at least 5/8" of threads. I taper the brake so it blends in with the barrel. Then I screw it onto the barrel, then I set it up on a mill to drill the ports. I only work on my own guns. I don't want the responsibility of working on other peoples guns. on the lathe I use now I have to remove the barrel. It's a lot easier if you have a lathe with a short gear head so you can leave the barrel on. The plus side is when I remove the barrel, I'll true the reciever face, and lap the bolt recoil lugs to the reciever. I've gotten amazingly better shooting rifles by doing that.
Good luck.

I found this a while back while when I was looking for the smallest, self-timing brake for my Ruger American Predator. Barrel is .72" right behind the brake.

Brake is .95" diameter. One of the smallest, self-timing, I could find.

Paid the $10's for black Cerakote and it matched up very nice to the factory finish.

Last edited:

I don't want to assume anything but is the muzzle on your barrel threaded already? Most OD on a self-indexing MB that "I" have seen is ~ .750" and larger.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.