search engine,300 RUM Load data

Charles A

Make sure you select the "all open forums" on the search page. Sorry cant help you with the 180gr bullets, if you want 220gr Matchking data I got that.
smile.gif

Typed in 300 Ultra Mag reloads, to find starting data for 180 grain bullets or suggested loads for a new rifle, found no answers?/

What did I do wrong? Has to be a bunch of that type of data here somewhere

Thanks, Jeff

I did a search on "300 Ultra Mag reloads" and got 4 hits.

.300RUM, .338RUM & .338Lapua 12-26-2003 Long Range Hunting

338 Lapua Brass compared to 300 Remington Ultra Brass 10-06-2002 Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Bullets for 300 Ultra Mag 09-06-2004 Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

search engine,300 RUM Load data 11-14-2004 Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

I used All open forums and I DID NOT put in a Member Number.

Dave

Thanks, I'll try it again. I did get some hits actually, but none that were what I was looking for and I thought that there should be way more info on the 300 RUM

THanks, Jeff

rost495
In my gun 90.5 gr. h1000 works very well with 180 gr. accubonds .I get a mv of 3200 fps . Not a max load in my gun but start lower and work up just in case .

From the *Nosler Reloading Guide*: Our technicians were surprised to find near bench-rest accuracy when medium wt bullets were teamed with IMR4350 & a Federal 215 Primer
I'm hoping to get good groups with 150gr Nosler Ballistic tips, but I'm expecting I'll need to go to 165 or maybe even 180 gr.

I'd love to have a custom 300 RUM with 1:14 twist (have my pal Daniel Lilja make the barrel) so it could properly stabalize a .308 125gr Ballistic tip.

Here is the best 300 RUM page I've found (on loads). They tested with the same stick most of us use.
I always go for the lightest bullet that gives me good groups. (less kick, more filling like the beer comerical
smile.gif

If I need anything heaver than 165gr, move up to my .338 (hoping to get good groups with 180gr BT on that gun).

300 RUM reload data (& bipods and more)300 RUM Loads

There was a question in my above post. Can I get good groups with 150gr Ballist Tips or 165 - or will they overstabilize in the ultra velocity RUM?

bigbore

Thats varmint weight bullets.....

Anyway I have this input. In 223 Rem they use 12-14 twist for 52 grain bullets. I was involved deeply in a 6.5 twist project for 90 grain bullet use in the AR. Which ended up allowing the army shooters to set some new records at 1000 yards with an AR that beat the M1A 308 records.

Anyway along the way I started using 52s adn 60s for practice ammo. This in the 6.5 twist.

Until your bullets come apart, I dont' feel there can be too much stabilization.

Good luck, Jeff

Over stabilize may be a misnomer, but it's what the literature generally uses. ANd yes, it's far batter to over than under. Under is what killed the Rem 6mm and made the win 243 dominate (the .243 could stabalize deer sized 100gr bullets)

R CROSS F will kill you at too high a angular velocity, well known and understood by ballistics experts, hense the GreenHill formula.

As my pal Daniel Lilja says Daniel o Twist
Target shooters, especially bench rest shooters, like to use the slowest possible twist rate they can get away with in an effort to get the very ultimate in accuracy from their barrel.

To give you an idea of the R cross F counterintutive force, pull your hard drive out - and while the computer is running twist the drive. A cheapo 7200 RPM IDE drive will give you the odd R X F force. For bonus points, try this with a 15K RPM SCSI drive (mine are hot swappable, not cabled so I can't test this
frown.gif
)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.