Screw holes w/o Threads

Rustystud

I ordered a brand new Remington 700 SPS S/S in 270 Winchester. The front two screw holes were drilled but not tapped. Just anther sorry case of quality control.

Nat Lambeth

Nat, it's getting worse, I ordered a 17 fireball because zanders was closing them out and I was wanting to build a 6br, plug the ejector button and install a sako extractor. I figured it was as good as any to start with. I ordered the fancy varmit SS fluted HS stock model.

I pulled the barrel and about craped, I had never in my life seen barrel threads so undersized, were talkin rattle the action back and forth a half inch at the tang. The major od was 1.042" and they were cut to a sharp v on the tops. I figured I could pull the stock and barrel and sell them, well not the barrel! unless you want to screw it onto a Winchester!!!.

Jim and Joel:

The rifle is going to a 14 year old young man for Christmas. His father asked that I put a muzzle brake on the rifle to reduce the recoil. So it would have been hard to send it back to Remington and have it back for Christmas. I made a 150 mile round trip house call to tap the holes.

To top it off the father went to Walmart and bought a box of 150 grain Remington Core locks. They would not group better than 2 inches. I loaded five rounds with 42 grains of H-4895 with 150gr Nosler Balistic Tips touching the rifling, The group size dropped to under an inch at 100 yards.

I called Remington and told them about this rifle. They seemed appreciative.

Nat Lambeth

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.