Screw holes w/o Threads

Rustystud

I ordered a brand new Remington 700 SPS S/S in 270 Winchester. The front two screw holes were drilled but not tapped. Just anther sorry case of quality control.

Nat Lambeth

Coyboy

Nat, it's getting worse, I ordered a 17 fireball because zanders was closing them out and I was wanting to build a 6br, plug the ejector button and install a sako extractor. I figured it was as good as any to start with. I ordered the fancy varmit SS fluted HS stock model.

I pulled the barrel and about craped, I had never in my life seen barrel threads so undersized, were talkin rattle the action back and forth a half inch at the tang. The major od was 1.042" and they were cut to a sharp v on the tops. I figured I could pull the stock and barrel and sell them, well not the barrel! unless you want to screw it onto a Winchester!!!.

Rustystud

Jim and Joel:

The rifle is going to a 14 year old young man for Christmas. His father asked that I put a muzzle brake on the rifle to reduce the recoil. So it would have been hard to send it back to Remington and have it back for Christmas. I made a 150 mile round trip house call to tap the holes.

To top it off the father went to Walmart and bought a box of 150 grain Remington Core locks. They would not group better than 2 inches. I loaded five rounds with 42 grains of H-4895 with 150gr Nosler Balistic Tips touching the rifling, The group size dropped to under an inch at 100 yards.

I called Remington and told them about this rifle. They seemed appreciative.

Nat Lambeth

Last edited:

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce