Scratching my head.... SET ME STRAIGHT

Have two rifles that shoot the hornady factory loads faster than advertised. 300 win mag is 150 faster and 28 nosler is 215 faster. Verified both at 500 and a 1k. Shot them out of a couple others and were a little lower than advertised so I just figured i happened to get fast barrels.
Odd thing is both that are faster are fierce edge rifles. Tried them both on different chronograph's and drop tested. Reloads for the nosler are moving a little faster and no pressure signs so not sure. Shot the 225 eldm factory loads out of a bergera 300 prc and it was right under advertised.
Are you using the same components, barrel length, etc., like Hornady's? Also, have you verified your velocity with another chronograph? That's quite a bit of difference.

Are you using the same components, barrel length, etc., like Hornady's? Also, have you verified your velocity with another chronograph? That's quite a bit of difference.
Doesn't say on the box what barrel length they used. Using their loaded ammo so components can't be different. I can load ammo and get it a bit faster in the nosler. Sold the 300 wm so didn't mess with it. All three have been 26" barrels. Like I stated I used two different chrono's. Caldwell first and figured it might be wrong so used a magneto speed snd they were pretty close. Drop tests checked out too. Have a place to shoot out to a 1k so it nice to be able to to do that.

Have two rifles that shoot the hornady factory loads faster than advertised. 300 win mag is 150 faster and 28 nosler is 215 faster. Verified both at 500 and a 1k. Shot them out of a couple others and were a little lower than advertised so I just figured i happened to get fast barrels.
Well I guess I've got a fast barrel and I'll leave it at that! Thanks everyone for the info.

Doesn't say on the box what barrel length they used. Using their loaded ammo so components can't be different. I can load ammo and get it a bit faster in the nosler. Sold the 300 wm so didn't mess with it. All three have been 26" barrels. Like I stated I used two different chrono's. Caldwell first and figured it might be wrong so used a magneto speed snd they were pretty close. Drop tests checked out too. Have a place to shoot out to a 1k so it nice to be able to to do that.
According to my Hornady 10th ed., they use 25" 1:10" for the .300 WM. That's interesting that there is such a big difference. I guess it is a good thing, though, as long as there is no pressure.

I know everyone is sick of hearing about all of these new calibers and arguments about tried and true calibers vs. new hot rods is not what I'm looking for. For the non-reloader, the newer calibers serve their purpose.

I personally haven't reloaded in years due to having kids and finding the time. I was a huge fan of the 308, 270, 300WM and I reloaded for all three. I had a lot of luck with all three but then the 6.5CM came out. I mainly used my 308 for hunting and the Creedmoor quickly replaced that role and then bled into my long range life. I felt the Creedmoor was a great cartridge that I could use efficiently for target as well as extended range hunting without having to reload so that was my go to for years until 2018 when the PRC came out which promised that extra distance on game. I know, most people don't eat the 6.5 apple but I did and I haven't looked back once. I'm able to get very consistent results on game and targets which I've verified over and over at different yardages and I'm very impressed with the accuracy and consistency. I've taken medium sized game out past 800 with zero issues. I plan to utilize this cartridge for elk next year to see where it stands. I've verified multiple hits on target from 100 yards out to 1,673 yards with factory ammo and I really can't see why I would need to reload again. I use the Sig 2400 BDS range finder to get my distance and firing solution, dial my minutes on my NF ATACR 4-16x50 and hold off for windage which is a very quick and easy system and sure beats using my mildot master. I can say I haven't been let down once. I consistently get hits on target over and over again with this system and it works for me.

Let me land the plane...

According to my the charts I have in Ballistics AE, JBM ballistics, as well as my range finder with the Applied Ballistics Software built in and all verified hits on target, I'm pushing a 143ELD-X at 3180FPS which is 220fps over what Hornady prints on the box (2960) and on their website. I cannot for the life of me understand how my rifle is pushing that fast but no matter how many times I verify at different distances, I'm on target consistently. I have never actually run it through my chronograph but in my opinion the charts and verified yardages are more accurate anyway. Can someone explain this to me?
If it's working, it working. If you want to get into the weeds, one thing that may be affecting the velocity that seems like it's higher than it should, is dial up. There is a chance your scope isn't dialing exactly a 1/4 MOA per click. Would be interesting if you get a chrono to see what the true velocity is

Didn't read every single post word for word so maybe what I'm gonna suggest already was . I believe some barrels are just faster than others . I saw someone mentioned maybe a tighter chamber and if that is the case and maybe just maybe the barrel is a faster barrel , that could be adding up. If the bc is not what is advertised and the other contributing factors are tight or fast it very well could be you found the pot of gold at the end of the 🌈

If it's working, it working. If you want to get into the weeds, one thing that may be affecting the velocity that seems like it's higher than it should, is dial up. There is a chance your scope isn't dialing exactly a 1/4 MOA per click. Would be interesting if you get a chrono to see what the true velocity is
I did run it through my chrono as I posted yesterday and I will argue that the chrono is actually not true velocity but more of a starting point and that field verified hits on target at multiple distances is actual true velocity. As far as my scope turrets being off, they definitely are not. I verified my turrets before even starting to mess with my drop charts. If there is a Nightforce ATACR set of turrets out there that weren't dead nuts it's the first I've heard. Not that NF is best scope above all else but they've earned their reputation over and over.

Didn't read every single post word for word so maybe what I'm gonna suggest already was . I believe some barrels are just faster than others . I saw someone mentioned maybe a tighter chamber and if that is the case and maybe just maybe the barrel is a faster barrel , that could be adding up. If the bc is not what is advertised and the other contributing factors are tight or fast it very well could be you found the pot of gold at the end of the 🌈
That's kind of what I'm chalking it up to at this point. I would say that I will run it out until the barrel burns up. Hopefully when I have to rebarrel I'll get another fast one!

My 7 mm08 tc barrel is a " slow" one I guess all I can get is 2995 average with accuracy. But I promise the last 15-20 deer haven't noticed not one bit lol

I'll throw another possibility in the ring. Had this from personal experience when I took a long range shooting class and used my 6.5-284 Norma. Hand loads with the 140 VLD Berger at 2997 fps. It was t until we started shooting steel at 800-1070 yards that we found I was consistently high. My instructor made adjustments into his Kestrel and from there, I started getting hits. I can't remember exactly what the Kestrel adjusted to, but my instructor said it was either an increase in BC or almost close to 200 fps in velocity. Since I knew my hand loads had single digit ES, I ruled that out.

Then my instructor said I want to test your scope. He pulled out a tall target and shot a group (at 100 yards) then dialed up 20 moa and shot another group. We found that I was 1.5" higher than it should be at 20 moa. He did the math and it was a 6% error in elevation tracking. I made that adjustment in my ballistics software and it was dead on from there. I ended up calling Zeiss and sent my V6 in because I was t happy. A few weeks later they sent me a new scope. I was also shooting my 7 STW that day. It has a NF NXS on it. It was dead on to 1070 yards, so no tracking issues.
Moral to the story for me was to start doing a tall target test on all of my scopes. I would have never known I had any issue unless I had shot past 700 yards.
I'm willing to bet it's your scope and you're not getting the velocity the drop data is telling you. But, I could be wrong.

Like everyone else, I'd like to know the outcome.

I'll throw another possibility in the ring. Had this from personal experience when I took a long range shooting class and used my 6.5-284 Norma. Hand loads with the 140 VLD Berger at 2997 fps. It was t until we started shooting steel at 800-1070 yards that we found I was consistently high. My instructor made adjustments into his Kestrel and from there, I started getting hits. I can't remember exactly what the Kestrel adjusted to, but my instructor said it was either an increase in BC or almost close to 200 fps in velocity. Since I knew my hand loads had single digit ES, I ruled that out.

Then my instructor said I want to test your scope. He pulled out a tall target and shot a group (at 100 yards) then dialed up 20 moa and shot another group. We found that I was 1.5" higher than it should be at 20 moa. He did the math and it was a 6% error in elevation tracking. I made that adjustment in my ballistics software and it was dead on from there. I ended up calling Zeiss and sent my V6 in because I was t happy. A few weeks later they sent me a new scope. I was also shooting my 7 STW that day. It has a NF NXS on it. It was dead on to 1070 yards, so no tracking issues.
Moral to the story for me was to start doing a tall target test on all of my scopes. I would have never known I had any issue unless I had shot past 700 yards.
I'm willing to bet it's your scope and you're not getting the velocity the drop data is telling you. But, I could be wrong.

Like everyone else, I'd like to know the outcome.
I would completely agree with you if I hadn't already done a tall target test before I started on my drop chart.

I would completely agree with you if I hadn't already done a tall target test before I started on my drop chart.
Well then, I stand corrected!!! Glad I didn't put a wager on my prediction.

Who knows, you may have a really fast barrel. I've found that Nosler ammo tends to be hotter than the velocity listed on the box, so Hornady ammo may be that way too. Good for you if you've got a flamethrower 6.5 PRC. Not a bad problem to have.

Now I'm really curious. You're going to have to run those rounds over a chrono or you're going to have a bunch of unhappy guys on this thread. We have enquiring minds and want to know.
I've learned so much over the years on this site from posts like yours.

Well then, I stand corrected!!! Glad I didn't put a wager on my prediction.

Who knows, you may have a really fast barrel. I've found that Nosler ammo tends to be hotter than the velocity listed on the box, so Hornady ammo may be that way too. Good for you if you've got a flamethrower 6.5 PRC. Not a bad problem to have.

Now I'm really curious. You're going to have to run those rounds over a chrono or you're going to have a bunch of unhappy guys on this thread. We have enquiring minds and want to know.
I've learned so much over the years on this site from posts like yours.
No problems, your logic is spot on. I did actually run it through a chrono a day after I posted and came up with a number in between the box and my chart which was an average of 3086fps

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.