Scratching my head.... SET ME STRAIGHT

Are you using some kind of sweet barrel lube or something? Something that reduces friction? I'm joking obviously.

But hey, can I buy some?
Haha - yeah definitely not a friction reducer that I'm using that I know of. About three years ago I decided to streamline all of my processes and build a rifle that was easy to obtain, grab n' go, reliable, repeatable platform and along with that I streamlined my cleaning process as well. I went from an assortment of semi custom/custom builds. My last rifle was an Accurate Ordnance TMR fully custom 6.5 Creedmoor that I paid $4300 for and I knew I wasn't doing that again although that rifle shot a ticks *** at 1000 yards. When the 6.5PRC was released I went completely away from my norm and bought a Christensen Ridgeline from gunbroker. I ordered a Nightforce 0 MOA picatinny rail, bedded it, installed my Nightforce ultra light rings and then mounted the NF ATACR 4-16x50F2 that I pulled off of my Creedmoor. I used my wheeler engineering scope leveling tool to make sure it was dead nuts and I was set. I got rid of the factory stock and ordered my Manners EH-1 with the new fixed cheek rest and overall the manners stock weighed .1 ounce more than the factory stock. Threw on my carbon fiber modular evolution bipod and I had a great all around rifle I can use for anything from predator hunting to big game as well as a good stalking rifle. This was totally different from what I was used to and I'll have to say that it has been the best rifle I've ever owned by far. With that change I decided to streamline my cleaning process as well. When I clean my barrel I use a bore snake with a couple drops of the Otis 085 bore cleaner and run the snake through about 10-12 times and call it good. This is also completely different from anything else I used to do with the patches and hours of cleaning. I use Amsoil firearm cleaner and lubricating oil and I spend much less time worrying about anything and more time using my 10.5 pound rifle for anything and everything. It's a solid, lightweight setup that has served me well for almost three years now. I have no intention in changing anything about it. I guess once I shoot the barrel out and have to re-barrel, I'll see if it slows anything down.

My elevation when verifying was only 2057' to 2248' ASL
I had a similar discussion with another member. Try using https://bergerbullets.com/ballistics-calculator/ with the same information you have with the JBM and see what you get. IIRC, JBM uses barometric pressure, and Berger does not. Of course, as others noted, you'll need to factor in the "actual" velocity and "actual" drop against the "computed" numbers. Good luck!

I cringe every time I hear about cleaning a barrel with a bore snake. I think about all those old military rifles with grooves worn in the muzzle at 6 & 12 o'clock.
I've never experienced anything negative with a bore snake. Not sure how old the military rifles were that you are referring to but while I was in the Marine Corps the only issues we ever had with barrels was due to heat from over cycling. If I was starting to see any accuracy issues with my barrel I would certainly scope the bore and take a look. I think the fact that I use the Otis bore cleaner in conjunction with the bore snake may be the key but I'm not sure.

I know everyone is sick of hearing about all of these new calibers and arguments about tried and true calibers vs. new hot rods is not what I'm looking for. For the non-reloader, the newer calibers serve their purpose.

I personally haven't reloaded in years due to having kids and finding the time. I was a huge fan of the 308, 270, 300WM and I reloaded for all three. I had a lot of luck with all three but then the 6.5CM came out. I mainly used my 308 for hunting and the Creedmoor quickly replaced that role and then bled into my long range life. I felt the Creedmoor was a great cartridge that I could use efficiently for target as well as extended range hunting without having to reload so that was my go to for years until 2018 when the PRC came out which promised that extra distance on game. I know, most people don't eat the 6.5 apple but I did and I haven't looked back once. I'm able to get very consistent results on game and targets which I've verified over and over at different yardages and I'm very impressed with the accuracy and consistency. I've taken medium sized game out past 800 with zero issues. I plan to utilize this cartridge for elk next year to see where it stands. I've verified multiple hits on target from 100 yards out to 1,673 yards with factory ammo and I really can't see why I would need to reload again. I use the Sig 2400 BDS range finder to get my distance and firing solution, dial my minutes on my NF ATACR 4-16x50 and hold off for windage which is a very quick and easy system and sure beats using my mildot master. I can say I haven't been let down once. I consistently get hits on target over and over again with this system and it works for me.

Let me land the plane...

According to my the charts I have in Ballistics AE, JBM ballistics, as well as my range finder with the Applied Ballistics Software built in and all verified hits on target, I'm pushing a 143ELD-X at 3180FPS which is 220fps over what Hornady prints on the box (2960) and on their website. I cannot for the life of me understand how my rifle is pushing that fast but no matter how many times I verify at different distances, I'm on target consistently. I have never actually run it through my chronograph but in my opinion the charts and verified yardages are more accurate anyway. Can someone explain this to me?
Magic!.....who cares! Don't mess with a good thing.
I call it real world Applied Ballistics.
Clean the heck out of your barrel until its beyond clean. Then check velocity and see what happens.

if youre coming out west pick up a Gazetter Atlas and find yourself some BLM land

I ran into this with my 26" 300 win mag
I attributed the speed difference to the longer barrel

I have a chrony, but stopped using it a long time ago

Kind of off subject..... I'll be moving to the black hills of South Dakota by the end of the summer. Anyone know of any good places to shoot and stretch out to a mile?

Contact me when you get moved out here and I'll help you find some distance shooting locations.

Question for you on your data. What is your exact POI at 100 yards? Is it exactly centered or high by a certain amount? I helped a guy a couple of years ago that had similar issue. I asked twice if he had verified his zero at 100 yards. Both times he said Yep. The second time he added "I'm exactly 3" high at 100".

Bob

Contact me when you get moved out here and I'll help you find some distance shooting locations.

Question for you on your data. What is your exact POI at 100 yards? Is it exactly centered or high by a certain amount? I helped a guy a couple of years ago that had similar issue. I asked twice if he had verified his zero at 100 yards. Both times he said Yep. The second time he added "I'm exactly 3" high at 100".

Bob
I can see where that would screw things up but I am 100% dead center at 100 yards. I appreciate that, I'll be sure to hit you up.

Have two rifles that shoot the hornady factory loads faster than advertised. 300 win mag is 150 faster and 28 nosler is 215 faster. Verified both at 500 and a 1k. Shot them out of a couple others and were a little lower than advertised so I just figured i happened to get fast barrels.

Have two rifles that shoot the hornady factory loads faster than advertised. 300 win mag is 150 faster and 28 nosler is 215 faster. Verified both at 500 and a 1k. Shot them out of a couple others and were a little lower than advertised so I just figured i happened to get fast barrels.
That makes me wonder about chamber dimensions. They should be fairly close, one would assume, but there is always some variability. Wouldn't a tighter chamber result in higher velocity than a looser chamber, all else being equal? Less energy from the powder would be needed to expand the case to the chamber walls meaning more energy to push the bullet out the barrel. Then too, how much difference would that make?

That makes me wonder about chamber dimensions. They should be fairly close, one would assume, but there is always some variability. Wouldn't a tighter chamber result in higher velocity than a looser chamber, all else being equal? Less energy from the powder would be needed to expand the case to the chamber walls meaning more energy to push the bullet out the barrel. Then too, how much difference would that make?
Odd thing is both that are faster are fierce edge rifles. Tried them both on different chronograph's and drop tested. Reloads for the nosler are moving a little faster and no pressure signs so not sure. Shot the 225 eldm factory loads out of a bergera 300 prc and it was right under advertised.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.