Scratching my head.... SET ME STRAIGHT

Haha. It happens. Just curious, what speeds are you getting with your PRC?
I've got a bergara wilderness terrain, and so far all I've fired through it is factory Hornady 147eldm, and they shoot lights out, so I probably won't change. I got about 20fps slower than Hornady's published mv when I tested it at about 45°, so I'm probably really close to what they claim at about 80°.

I don't pay much attention to published BC's.

The stuff in the Berger manual about form factors is an interesting read. The Hornady 4DOF system is a departure from the usual BC stuff. I am a .22-.250 fan, shooting 75 ELDM bullets and the 4DOF system and my Magneto speed chrony comes up with a good accurate firing solutions (most often at rodents).

I think many select bullets using BC's and this makes for inflated BC's.

I've got a bergara wilderness terrain, and so far all I've fired through it is factory Hornady 147eldm, and they shoot lights out, so I probably won't change. I got about 20fps slower than Hornady's published mv when I tested it at about 45°, so I'm probably really close to what they claim at about 80°.
Have you ran a chart yet or verified hits at distance? If you ran a chart, how many minutes would you need to adjust for at 500, 750, 1000, 1500?

This is with a 100y zero.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210122-113236_Strelok Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20210122-113236_Strelok Pro.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 292
If you want to see an interesting comparison, this chart is from my mark V shooting a 300 Weatherby. Compare the retained velocity and energy at 1000y. When I did I felt like I watched someone kill the Easter bunny with a machete..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210122-113551_Strelok Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20210122-113551_Strelok Pro.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 197
I've got a 100 yard zero as well and at 500 yards I'm at 6.73 minutes.
That 143 is leaving the barrel just a bit faster of course, but it sounds like more than just a little muzzle speed. Now, I haven't verified those numbers yet on my chart to see if they are correct. I set it at 100y, verified impacts at 300y, made a correction in the software, adjusted and called it good for hunting season. I killed several deer with it this year, and it did admirably, but in the next couple of months when it warms up I will be able to really stretch it out and test it at range..

Man, my reading comprehension is terrible this morning. If my second grade English teacher is still alive, I hope she isn't a member of this forum. If she is, I'm sorry Mrs Jankowski, you did teach me better.
Reading comprehension grades vary greatly. Your grammar & punctuation are fine. As a retired BSU professor, I say you pass :)

That 143 is leaving the barrel just a bit faster of course, but it sounds like more than just a little muzzle speed. Now, I haven't verified those numbers yet on my chart to see if they are correct. I set it at 100y, verified impacts at 300y, made a correction in the software, adjusted and called it good for hunting season. I killed several deer with it this year, and it did admirably, but in the next couple of months when it warms up I will be able to really stretch it out and test it at range..
Just ran it through my gen2 caldwell chronograph which I've only used once with my bow. it seems to be an accurate chronograph thus far. I fired 5 rounds and all were within 8fps with an average of 3086fps. I've plugged those numbers into my ballistics calculator and it still doesn't add up to the field verified 3180. I know the chronograph isn't always exact but it's still 80-90fps slower than I verified in the field. Please note that I am now at sea level and it's a good bit warmer than where I verified in the field so that could make up for the difference but after entering my atmospheric conditions, it still didn't add up. I'm glad I've got the rangefinder I do because it compensates for atmospheric conditions as well as the coriolis acceleration which could have certainly made a difference at longer yardages. All in all I've got my solid field data and I've got a great shooting rifle. My rifle has a 24" barrel so I know that's not the difference since that's what the advertised speed is based off of. Did I just get a great barrel? Not sure.

Just ran it through my gen2 caldwell chronograph which I've only used once with my bow. it seems to be an accurate chronograph thus far. I fired 5 rounds and all were within 8fps with an average of 3086fps. I've plugged those numbers into my ballistics calculator and it still doesn't add up to the field verified 3180. I know the chronograph isn't always exact but it's still 80-90fps slower than I verified in the field. Please note that I am now at sea level and it's a good bit warmer than where I verified in the field so that could make up for the difference but after entering my atmospheric conditions, it still didn't add up. I'm glad I've got the rangefinder I do because it compensates for atmospheric conditions as well as the coriolis acceleration which could have certainly made a difference at longer yardages. All in all I've got my solid field data and I've got a great shooting rifle. My rifle has a 24" barrel so I know that's not the difference since that's what the advertised speed is based off of. Did I just get a great barrel? Not sure.
Are you using some kind of sweet barrel lube or something? Something that reduces friction? I'm joking obviously.

But hey, can I buy some?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.