Scratching my head.... SET ME STRAIGHT

PRCLITE

I know everyone is sick of hearing about all of these new calibers and arguments about tried and true calibers vs. new hot rods is not what I'm looking for. For the non-reloader, the newer calibers serve their purpose.

I personally haven't reloaded in years due to having kids and finding the time. I was a huge fan of the 308, 270, 300WM and I reloaded for all three. I had a lot of luck with all three but then the 6.5CM came out. I mainly used my 308 for hunting and the Creedmoor quickly replaced that role and then bled into my long range life. I felt the Creedmoor was a great cartridge that I could use efficiently for target as well as extended range hunting without having to reload so that was my go to for years until 2018 when the PRC came out which promised that extra distance on game. I know, most people don't eat the 6.5 apple but I did and I haven't looked back once. I'm able to get very consistent results on game and targets which I've verified over and over at different yardages and I'm very impressed with the accuracy and consistency. I've taken medium sized game out past 800 with zero issues. I plan to utilize this cartridge for elk next year to see where it stands. I've verified multiple hits on target from 100 yards out to 1,673 yards with factory ammo and I really can't see why I would need to reload again. I use the Sig 2400 BDS range finder to get my distance and firing solution, dial my minutes on my NF ATACR 4-16x50 and hold off for windage which is a very quick and easy system and sure beats using my mildot master. I can say I haven't been let down once. I consistently get hits on target over and over again with this system and it works for me.

Let me land the plane...

According to my the charts I have in Ballistics AE, JBM ballistics, as well as my range finder with the Applied Ballistics Software built in and all verified hits on target, I'm pushing a 143ELD-X at 3180FPS which is 220fps over what Hornady prints on the box (2960) and on their website. I cannot for the life of me understand how my rifle is pushing that fast but no matter how many times I verify at different distances, I'm on target consistently. I have never actually run it through my chronograph but in my opinion the charts and verified yardages are more accurate anyway. Can someone explain this to me?

You have data that supports your charts, and that data has proven reliable for you time and again. Unless you actually run it on a chronograph, which would tell you if you are actually getting that velocity or if Hornady's published BC is off, I don't think it really matters (it might be interesting to see). Your data matches your rifle, the charts are accurate, and that is what really matters. The rest is just academic curiosity.

You have data that supports your charts, and that data has proven reliable for you time and again. Unless you actually run it on a chronograph, which would tell you if you are actually getting that velocity or if Hornady's published BC is off, I don't think it really matters (it might be interesting to see). Your data matches your rifle, the charts are accurate, and that is what really matters. The rest is just academic curiosity.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Very well said and I feel the same way

I agree with this totally. If you're data lines up and allows you to make first round hits at all ranges, then it doesn't really matter. So many factors come into play. It's possible that there is an error in your software, or some data input, but if it ain't broke, I wouldn't try to fix it..

I appreciate the answers and I agree with everything that's been said. I'm definitely not questioning my charts or my rifle but I guess my thing is that opens up a lot more use for this cartridge at longer ranges than others may think. For the sake of arguing ballistics, a lot of points are null and void especially as it pertains to useful yardages on elk with this caliber. I know shot placement is ultimately the answer but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy. I've run my chart on just about every ballistic calculator out there including JBM ballistics which I was introduced to yesterday. I'd be curious to see what others using this cartridge are getting for their drop charts. I'm going to shoot through my chrono hopefully this weekend and see what it says. I'll update the post.

I appreciate the answers and I agree with everything that's been said. I'm definitely not questioning my charts or my rifle but I guess my thing is that opens up a lot more use for this cartridge at longer ranges than others may think. For the sake of arguing ballistics, a lot of points are null and void especially as it pertains to useful yardages on elk with this caliber. I know shot placement is ultimately the answer but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy. I've run my chart on just about every ballistic calculator out there including JBM ballistics which I was introduced to yesterday. I'd be curious to see what others using this cartridge are getting for their drop charts. I'm going to shoot through my chrono hopefully this weekend and see what it says. I'll update the post.
Get a chrono. You can buy the cheap one from Caldwell for just over $100, and it works pretty well. The way you are already shooting, it would be a good investment for you. If money isn't a huge issue, the magnetospeed stuff is better, but runs triple the cost or so. It is hard to shoot long range well without a chrono

Get a chrono. You can buy the cheap one from Caldwell for just over $100, and it works pretty well. The way you are already shooting, it would be a good investment for you. If money isn't a huge issue, the magnetospeed stuff is better, but runs triple the cost or so. It is hard to shoot long range well without a chrono
I've already got a chrono just never bothered with it on this build. I've found that it was a good starting point but never expected that big of a difference. I'm going to shoot through it soon just to see what it says.

Sorry, I just saw that last line, that you already have a chrono. Well, let us know what you find please, I'd like to hear this, because if you have a creedmoor moving bullets faster than my 6.5prc, I want to know how..
I don't have a Creedmoor moving faster than a PRC... read it again, I moved to the PRC in 2018.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.