Scratches on binoculars ocular lenses.

WildBillG

I am trying to sell my Ziess RF binos and noticed today that the ocular lenses are scratched. Is it possible that my bifocal glasses caused the scratches. This s the only thing I can think that would have scratched them as I wear my glasses when using them. The bifococal has quite a sharp edge to it.

It is very possible that your glasses scratched the lenses. You can also scratch the lenses of your glasses if you aren't careful how you use binos. Send them to Zeiss and get them to fix the lenses. You will take a real beating on the price, if they sell at all otherwise. I would never buy used optics with scratched lenses.

The lens or the coating?
+1 to @Dean2 's suggestion, send them in for repair.
I remove my glasses when using binos or spotter.

It may well be the coating is scratched. As I tried them yesterday looking so that the sun qould be bright and show any marks.They were still clear with no fuzziness or any thing like that to be seen. Would Zeiss charge me to repair the lenses?

It may well be the coating is scratched. As I tried them yesterday looking so that the sun qould be bright and show any marks.They were still clear with no fuzziness or any thing like that to be seen. Would Zeiss charge me to repair the lenses?
The scratches are not a manufacturing defect. You could call them and talk to customer service, they should be able to give you a rough idea of the cost. That said, Zeiis is very good to deal with, I ahve heard of guys getting scratched lenses replaced when getting the Binos serviced and Zeiss didn't charge them for the lenses. I do not know how Zeiss decides which they will cover and which they charge for.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.