Delete

It's rubbing against something with a rough edge as you withdraw the extracted case. On my Remington 700s, the case doesn't pull straight back, but angles up and rubs on something in the action on the way out. For one of mine the case rubs on the area right next to the little black square during extraction.

T8cXhN7.jpg

You may have something going on in the chamber. I'd remove the bolt and put a case in the chamber. Tap it in gently using a wood dowel and something as a hammer. You should be able to remove it with a cleaning rod down the bore. Check the case for scratches. May need to have the chamber polished. Reach into the front part of the action with your little pinkie and see if you can feel anything.

Last edited:
My cases aren't getting stuck in chamber just sticking a little. There is definitely points in the chamber that are consistently leaving light Scratches. Chamber polished? If the reamer ain't junk it should be cut even and smooth without inconsistencies right?

I know it wasn't getting stuck. I was just giving you a way to get a case in and out of the chamber without contacting any other parts of the action so that you'd know that any scratches on the case would come from the chamber area. I'm not a gunsmith but, I don't think it's unusual to have to polish a chamber.

Last edited:
Any chance you have access to a borescope? Polish should be done at the time of chambering. Very surprised it left the shop acting like this.

View attachment 186218
no excuses period😉 I have a leaky sink and hire a plumber to fix it and the next day it's almost stopped leaking still doesn't fly? 😬
This new drill press looks like it should clean it up!
Just for clarification, do you think every machining opperation turns out perfect? My point was that mistakes happen and sometimes it isn't clear as to why. One part has a burr where another doesn't. One weld cracks where another doesn't. Same machines, tooling, opperator. Different outcomes. "If the reamer aint junk it should work right." Not all the time.

It's rubbing against something with a rough edge as you withdraw the extracted case. On my Remington 700s, the case doesn't pull straight back, but angles up and rubs on something in the action on the way out. For one of mine the case rubs on the area right next to the little black square during extraction.

T8cXhN7.jpg

You may have something going on in the chamber. I'd remove the bolt and put a case in the chamber. Tap it in gently using a wood dowel and something as a hammer. You should be able to remove it with a cleaning rod down the bore. Check the case for scratches. May need to have the chamber polished. Reach into the front part of the action with your little pinkie and see if you can feel anything.
Get a borescope they are very cheap nowadays

How do fired cases look and how do they feel during extraction?
image.jpg
They have light light "scratches " more consistent on the whole case all the way around. It measures with my caliper spot on with my unfired brass. I am gong to grab a bore scope.

Last edited:
I had a new Remington 700 in 22-250 that would put a grove all the way around the case about 3/8 " from the base , like you had ran a tubing cutter around it . Must have been a small chip in all the edges on the reamer that left a sharp high spot in the chamber .

One way to find the location, is to use a Sharpie draw a line lengthwise on a loaded round, (at the range), orient the round with the line straight up or 90 degrees from vertical, fire, extract and check the location of the scratch.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.