Scout Scopes

It kind of depends on how you intend to use it. I think for some applications the reflex style sights may be a better choice.

I was thinking of a scout scope like the Burris ar536 but with a longer eye relief or a illuminated first focal plane long eye relief scope that could be adjusted on shots out of the conventional scout scope distances (shots over ~600 yards). I intend to use this scope on a scout rifle for quick acquisition on shots from 0-600 yards I realize that ~300-600 yards wasn't what Col. Jeff Cooper as Cooper's original scout rifle only went out to ~300 yards. Thanks for any and all thoughts, opinions, and answers.

What are the best scout scopes avalible ?
For your distances mentioned, I'm looking at this for my Scout: Nikon Force XR Pistol Scope - 2.5-8X28mm, BDC Reticle FREE S&H 8469, 8468. Nikon Rifle Scopes.. Leupold, Burris make similar, but some of the consensus' on Scout forums is that the Nikon is the way to go. It's been educational, reading all the forum banter and reviews on "best scout scopes" and set up, ie used with both eyes open, whether or not to go with Aimpoint style or both depending on environment, etc. also, which rifles are TRUE Scout versus hybrids, or, gasp, wannabes (always purists out there, no matter your interest). M14 forum has covered this quite a lot
Lastly, BDC is specific to round and its grain. The readers on this site can educate you on this a lot easier than I can.

When I did it many years back the straight 2x Leupold worked well to the 200 yard mark readily. Of course so did my eyes back then. I can't recall now, but I'm pretty sure jt was before any scopes were labeled "Scout" and it was just the pistol scope.

You might check through the hand gun section, there me be something there that crosses over to your application.

There doesn't happen to be a handgun scope with a milldot or MRAD reticle and also around 100 MOA of adjustment this would be perfect for my application if it was illuminated all the better but an illuminated reticle is not needed. Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts, opinions, and answers.

I have a Leupold 1.25-4x on my M1A scout squad. It works well there but I haven't tried it at long range. I have other guns for long shots, want the scout to be handy up close.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.