Scout Scoped Rigs

Headhunter

Do any of you guys use a scout scoped rig? I am building one up and I would like to put a scout scope on it. What bases & Scope do you use?

The rifle is a .416 Remington Magnum, built on a Remington Action.

Did a search on the Optics and came up with no results.

Thanks,

Headhunter

[ 12-06-2003: Message edited by: Headhunter ]

Headhunter- I don't have a scout-scoped rifle, but my brother has a 416 Rem on a Mauser square bridge with a Burris scope, 2 1/2 power or thereabouts, and is quite happy with it. Don't know the mounts, but if I remember correctly they are QD.

I remember seeing a scout base in either the Midway or Brownell's catalog; made for a Rem 700 and uses the rear sight screws, so it shouldn't be too hard to fit it to most.

jmbn

Thanks Jmbn, I have been looking around and should not have too much trouble finding the bases and rings. Having a hard time deciding on which scope to go with.

Headhunter

I've just been playing around with the Leupold 2x7x33s and I am quite impressed. Bought one for a Xmas present for a young man and ended up going back for another to keep myself!

These are the basic VX-1 series and sell for about $180. One of the last great buys in America!?

I'm trying mine in a Ruger 500 Nitro Express that currently wears a peep and bead. Whether I'll keep it on there remains to be seen but I really wanted a scope for load development.

I used it on my 375 H&H for a week and all went well. Non-critical eye relief is over 4" at 2X (2.5X actual).

All in all, a nice looking little scope that certainly preforms.... and I'm not a Leupold fan!

Regards,

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.