Scottish Benchrest Shooter Posts Record-Breaking 3-Inch 1000-Yard Group with Factory Savage Rifle

This is a really cool accomplishment, and I wish we had a class like that here in the states that was popular. But before anyone gets too excited about it being a factory Savage, keep in mind almost every custom built Br rifle will shoot groups like that. So if your after that kind of accuracy or better, you may need to go through a few hundred Savages to get another that good. So far as a .308, look at the scores they shoot in F-TR. The .308 is accurate. It just lacks in ballistics.

So.... If a guy posted on IG that he shot a 3" group at 1175 with a factory CA mpr and factory Hornady ammo, I should call him out for being the best ever? Lol

Don't serious BR shooters get several barrels at a time and sort through them
looking for the sweet ones? Can you imagine sorting factory rifles looking for the better ones. He probably has an insider helping him find the choice ones?
I'm sure it's not one he ordered from Bud's!

I wonder if he just bought a Savage, changed the trigger and stock?
Then he probably went to work on extensive load development. Anyone thought of that? That's what I do. Lol
I haven't set any records, but I have seen factory rifles that rival customs. I have a few...
It was a factory rifle class, in which his rifle qualifies. He's getting up there in years, and I bet he's still gleaming from the achievement. International recognition probably made his day. Good for him!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts