Score High pillar set

rinodods

Anyone use these before? Normally I would install pillars and bed in a second step after removing a little material from the stock but this system does both at once. I would think if you remove material from the stock to make a little room for bedding you'd mess up the pillar height a little trying to do both at once. The action would actually set a little deeper into the stock. I could of course leave a couple touch points in the inlet but that would kind of defeat the purpose and wouldn't look like I would like. It would save some time doing both at once though. Any tips to get everything just right or am I better off going the usual route and hit it in a couple steps?

There are a couple posts that show exactly how to do that. Using tape on the barrel to set that distance and leaving a small point at the rear action screw. I think it was a couple years ago, that someone posted a very good step by step using Devcon I believe. One of the tricks was taping the action screws to get them perfectly centered in the pillars, so when all the Bedding material sets up, the screws are not touching the edge of the pillar holes.

AJ

I've seen and used the tape on the barrel several times. I just didn't want to leave a high spot in the bedding for the action to rest on. Though I suppose I wouldn't really have to remove much if anything around the rear pillar. It might be ok with just a light skim bed in that area. Just wanted a really clean look. Of course I can still use the kit to install the pillars and bed the rest of the action in a second step. It'll take more time but I'll feel better about it I think. Maybe someday I'll get brave enough to do it all in one shot. I will say the kit is really nice.

Took the plunge with the Score High system last night. Came out great. I really liked the stud system included. Did the pillars, action bedding, and trigger guard all in one shot. Worked out just great with the boyds featherweight thumbhole stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.