Scopes with Tubes over 30mm for Long Range Rifles

Eagle eyes 17

I recently read a good Article in the Ammoland site about a Sightmark (Pinnacle) 5-30 x 50 - 34mm Tube for long Range Shooting.
I put a Sightmark (Triple Duty) 6-25 x 56 - 35mm Tube on my Remington 700 Long Range Rifle chambered for a 300 RUM Cartridge and so far I've been very happy with it.
From what I've been reading on Long Distance Shooting … the Bigger the Scope Tube the Better , there are few Scopes out there with 40mm tubes but very spendy.
Sightmark sent the larger Rings with the Scope I purchased.

Last edited:
Most of the very top end scopes have 34mm tubes. S&B, TT, Minox, NF, Hensoldt, etc. There are some very high end scopes that do have 30mm tubes however. TT315M, and March to name a couple. 35, 36, & 40mm tubes are an anomaly.

I remember a time when people would say that a bigger scope tube lets in more light, I think now days most people know that is bull *%$&. The only thing a bigger scope tube does is allow for more windage and elevation adjustment, which is a good thing for long range shooting. The problem though is that the specs are not necessarily uniform from one manufacture to another. Some 30mm tube scopes have as much or more adjustments than another manufacturers 34mm tube. You can't just take a scope with 34mm tube and say its better than a scope with a 30mm, you have to look at the specifics of each scope and brand and decided what is best for you and your situation.

The problem though is that the specs are not necessarily uniform from one manufacture to another. Some 30mm tube scopes have as much or more adjustments than another manufacturers 34mm tube. You can't just take a scope with 34mm tube and say its better than a scope with a 30mm, you have to look at the specifics of each scope and brand and decided what is best for you and your situation.
I was just saying that in another thread, the VX-6HD 4-24x52 only had 68 MOA with a 34mm tube.

35? Whoo! Did Sightmark throw in the rings for free? It's always a good feeling when you're happy with what you've bought. My biggest tube is a 30 mm and I'm stoked with that. Gets me out farther than I need for my style of hunting. You'll have to post some of your long range pics once you've had enough time to play with it. Interested in how much travel range your Sightmark has...?

the bigger scope tube deal is all for the wannabe sniper's who are trying out for seal team 6. its simply marketing to the bigger is better crowd, a 34mm tube is like running low profiled tires with 22" dubs on a lifted truck. Most don't offer any extra elevation, IE burris XTR. I have even had a guy who owns an optics company tell me they put the same 1" internals in many of these 34mm tubes. the 100 moa a 30mm nightforce can get you past 1 mile with any self respecting long range rig. its all marketing and BS
Using the Burris XTR II as an example of a top tier LR optic is like running low profile tires on 22" dubs on a lifted truck...

the bigger scope tube deal is all for the wannabe sniper's who are trying out for seal team 6. its simply marketing to the bigger is better crowd, a 34mm tube is like running low profiled tires with 22" dubs on a lifted truck. Most don't offer any extra elevation, IE burris XTR. I have even had a guy who owns an optics company tell me they put the same 1" internals in many of these 34mm tubes. the 100 moa a 30mm nightforce can get you past 1 mile with any self respecting long range rig. its all marketing and BS

You evidently have very little knowledge about high end optics,or the way that they are made.

He did not say Burris was top tier...
I have an XTR11 5-25x that is a very feature loaded optic, had used for $800 that is great for comp shoots where I'm not pushing the low light envelope, not top tier but the price reflects that.
Remember, we are talking about Sightmark here.....
Carry on....

35? Whoo! Did Sightmark throw in the rings for free? It's always a good feeling when you're happy with what you've bought. My biggest tube is a 30 mm and I'm stoked with that. Gets me out farther than I need for my style of hunting. You'll have to post some of your long range pics once you've had enough time to play with it. Interested in how much travel range your Sightmark has...?
Yep, the larger scope rings come with it … I'm working up some reloads for this Rifle but we've been shooting at boulders at the ridge across the way from us and the scope is just starting to open up at about 600 - 700 yds , I'm wanting to zero with it at 500 yds so I can reach out there without too much drop adjustment.

He doesn't mean to get the scope higher, he means canted, to give you 20moa more elevation adjustment available. Simply raising it up is not going to get you more elevation adjustment, but tilting it down in front will.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts