Scopes to use at Night

Thanks for the info everyone.
When I get some spare time I need to go back to the gun shop and look at Nikon Monarch 3.5-10X50, and 4200 elite 30mm to see how they compare to my Leupold, I would guess it would be like splitting hair-es, but would like to find out. The Nikon Gold 30mm looks great, but a little pricey for me, I get worried about high dollar scopes and guns that live in a pickup half the time. I might look at a 2-7X32 Nikon also. My 2-7X Leupold has good light transmission.
Can any one tell me where a good web sight is that will list major components in a scope and what to look for in general, night or day. I know that it all adds up, lens coat, lens clarity, exit pupil, end objective size, tube size, power. I assumed a fixed power 8X for example, large end objective 50mm example, 30mm tube would be hard to beat if you compared it to a different variable power scope with a 1" tube, same quality of lens though.
During this time Iam going to look for more info On the Redfield Ultimate ILL, Ian has put in his reply. I find a Redfield Illuminator 3-9X50 on EBay but I wounder if it is the same scope Ian has replied about.
Yes Predators at night with some type of light, is my only bad habit.
Thanks Again.

LB

It's starting to make more sense to me now, we are taking about two different methods.

I shoot using ambient light, no artificial lighting.

Pete

In my mind I picture your night hunting as ambient lighting too, is that a correct assumption??

"This question does not really apply to long range optics, but what scopes are going to work the best for night hunting varmint's?
I use A 3-9X50mm VXII Leupold, on a model 600 REM, 243. Sweet and short!
But would a Leupold European 3-9X50mm with the 30mm tube larger exit pupil work much better. Price of this scope would be about $419. I do not know the % light transmission on either scope. For the $420 what would work best in your mind. The 30mm does say midrange magnification. Not a problem at night, but it might raise a question in the day any help there please?
Last a Bushnell 10X40 Elite 3200 mildot price $170. Any one yous-ed or seen this scope. I like 10 fixed power with mildot but, when I looked threw the scope at the gun shop, the 3200 elite was not what I thought it would be terms of clarity? I did buy a BSA sweet 17 2-7x32 for $65. great scope for that price. "

no mention of a lamp there !!

yes Dave. ambient light, which means moon or reflections from villages (or indeed an airport) no (direct) artificial light allowed here for hunting anything.
In the UK you can hunt foxes, rabbits etc with a lamp and its a very effective way to do it, you can also get a permit to lamp deer if you are getting heavey crop dammage etc.
Id just use the same scope that i use for everything else, lamp or no lamp. mildot might not be an advantage for lamping, but its no disadvantage either.
Didn't see any hogs last night, need to get Uncle Pete's anchoholic piggy bait back in gear..
Pete

[ QUOTE ]
but what scopes are going to work the best for night hunting varmint's?

[/ QUOTE ]
There's the clue, I knew exactly what he wants to do. You will just have to take my word for it on the busy reticles. This is not at all like "lamping" stupid foxes out in the meadows. I'm trying to tell you that mildots and ranging reticles are a distinct disadvantage...for the third time, fer cripe sakes! Take it for what it's worth. It is hard enough to pick out a simple crosshair against brush, sticks and shadows, (caused by the "lamp") you don't want to be searching for the proper one.

I really hate to say this, but I know how to do this stuff and you don't, Pete.

LB, the only stupid foxes are the young ones. I fail to see where a mildot would be any hinderance at all. Certainly one of the horus reticles would be a hinderance. but if your the expert, i'll bow to your experience. I've not done much lamping since ive lived in Germany, but i've done a lot of night hunting, a mildot is no hinderance without a lamp, then why should it be one with a lamp.
when one says varmints, i think, prarie dogs, when one says predators i think, coyotee.
anyways, i'd love to have a bash at hunting coyotees. calling them would be the way i'd like to start.
Pete

well i guess i'll have to take your word for it, ive seen coyotees when ive been in North America, but i ain't hunted em yet, would love to have a bash though. foxes are easy enough to call up, but they soon get wise if you don't get em first time calling.
I'd just say as always, use the best glass you can afford.
what kind of lamp you using?
I've a niteforce, very popular in the UK, ive also got a RNLI life boat search light, even had a cheiftan tank search light mounted on a light weight landrover a few years ago. now that was like turning daylight on.
what sort of scope you using then?
Pete

My best scope is the 3X12X56 Kahles. There may be better, but that is my money scope.

All of the lights that we use are hand made custom jobs, not available off the shelf. Most use either one version or another of the flipper light, or the dual superposed. I doubt that the technology has drifted beyond a few western states. Too detailed to go into here.

Good hunting. LB

well foxes around my way are not stupid, but i have had 2 this week.

best scope for night shooting, without a shadow of a doubt is either s&b 8x56 or swaro 8 x 56, preferably with a fairly thick reticle.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.