Scopes, spotting scopes, binoculars and range finders

There are 3.4377 MOA per mil.
At 100 yards that 3.437 MOA is 3.599 inches or, rounded up to 3.6 inches per mil.

So, since the smallest useful mil marks on most scopes are 1/2 mil that means 1/2 mil is 1.8 inches which is a lot larger than the fine 1/4 MOA marks on target scopes. Want tiny scope marks for aming small? Use MOA scopes with 1/4 MOA hash marks.

Eric B.

There are 3.4377 MOA per mil.
At 100 yards that 3.437 MOA is 3.599 inches or, rounded up to 3.6 inches per mil.

So, since the smallest useful mil marks on most scopes are 1/2 mil that means 1/2 mil is 1.8 inches which is a lot larger than the fine 1/4 MOA marks on target scopes. Want tiny scope marks for aming small? Use MOA scopes with 1/4 MOA hash marks.

Eric B.
What in the heck does this even mean? "smallest useful mil marks are 1/2 mil"....

A "mil" scope has 0.1mil clicks....so the smallest useful increment is 0.1 mils...which is 0.36" at 100 yards.

Sorry, I DID mean 1/10 mil but made that typo. Still, 1/10 mil is larger than 1/4 MOA.

For me 1/10 mil has marks are as small as I want to use when holding on my scope's H59 reticle B/C I hold and never dial once I'm zeroed. Seems to work even to 1,100 yards on our range's steel.

Hi!
New here, I have a question about range finders.
I shoot 6.5X55 Swedish out of a Swedish Mauser. I have a Leupold 4.5-14 scope on it, with a BDC for 140 gr rounds.
I bought the Leupold 1300i TBR range finder and am trying to figure out what TBR group to set it to. Its based on calibre but they don't list mine.
Also they keep listing 200 yard zero's. For my BDC I zero'd at 100. Its what it told me to do in order for that BDC to be accurate.
It should be noted, I have fired this rifle/scope out to 550 yards at a range and it was hitting clay pigeons in the dirt very consistently. The BDC was spot on at that range.
But now......I am hunting in a hilly area. I have to contend with elevation changes in my point of impact that are hundreds of yards.
Coyotes are a problem here but too skittish to come within 400 yards in day light.
So just looking for help on an idea of what to set this TBR to on this 1300i range finder so I can set my BDC to what I need for a longer range shot.

Thanks for any insight!

MKP

Adjust your zero so that your BDC lines up at the altitude you will be hunting at.

If you are aiming up or down slope, just use the BDC as normal and favor slightly low.

At ranges under 500 yards it takes a substantial amount of slope (say, 20+ degrees) to cause a miss.

The difference between flat dope and -20 degrees down slope at 500 yards is less than 1 moa.

Adjust your zero so that your BDC lines up at the altitude you will be hunting at.

If you are aiming up or down slope, just use the BDC as normal and favor slightly low.

At ranges under 500 yards it takes a substantial amount of slope (say, 20+ degrees) to cause a miss.

The difference between flat dope and -20 degrees down slope at 500 yards is less than 1 moa.
Thanks for the tip!

Yeah I had to re-site in my BDC. Diferent ammo. I originally sited it in with Hornady match 140 gr BTHP. But that seems no longer available. I can only find this PRIVI/PARTIZAN stuff. I think its Chek Republic made. I may go to a Hornady 140 gr Nosler. But not sure how accurate it is.
I'm having troubles with coyotes and plan to get this Mauser out. When we're not home, they raid our chickens. We're down about 5 chickens just in 2 weeks.
I see a coyote sit on a pile of rocks at about 620 yards from my position. It sits there when I get the call out. But when it sits there like that, it presents a very slim profile because its not on the direct top of the rock pile.
I'd have to be very accurate in that shot to not get a ricochet off those rocks.

This may be the wrong thread, and if so I apologize. I recently purchased a Bushnell DMR2 3.5-21. While I like it and am overall satisfied with what I paid for it, I have 1 concern. Everything within 400yds comes in crystal clear, but beyond that things start to wash out from 15x-21x regardless of parallax level. It doesn't make it unusable, just annoying. Does anyone have any experience with this scope and is this normal behavior? I have other L.O.W made scopes that don't do this, so if anyone can help, I will deeply appreciate it.

Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.