Scopes for a "long range" 17

Deerslayer11

I have a Savage 93R17 and I need a scope for it, I was looking at Simmons 44 mag 4-12x44 and a weaver Kaspa 4-12x40: I want a 4-12 minimum zoom and don't wanna spend too much more then $200. it'll be used between 50-350 yards for targets and varmints. thanks.

I'd get a Athlon Optics Talos BTR 4-14x44 FFP. Google it. $299 and worth every penny!

They have less expensive scopes that'l work.

For your price range I think Hawke is an excellent brand. I own the 4.5-14X Sidewinder for use on my air rifle, and it has been a very good performer. The warranty is very good for Hawke scopes. I have no experience with Vortex scopes at the price point you are looking at.

I use my Hawke on my air rifle more than I use my Kahles on my centerfire.

I mounted this Hawke Eclipse on my Savage Mark II .22 and have a Vortex on my .17 that is in LaRue QD rings so I move it to other rifles. They no longer offer the Hawke Eclipse but it has really held up well. That rig lives in a rack on a Polaris down here in South Texas and so far has not failed. My longest jackrabbit kill was 175 yards with standard velocity through the suppressor. I believe the Hawke was in the three hundred dollar price range and the Vortex considerately more. I had enough Cabela Club points to get a BSA Sweet 17 free so I got one for my single shot Handi Rifle. I think I paid fifteen or so dollars more or less the shipping to get it. It works out to about 100 yards and from there out you better have good eyes. It just isn't very clear.

Attachments

• Sweet 17 001.jpg
    Sweet 17 001.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 154
  • Savage Mark II FVSR 010.jpg
    Savage Mark II FVSR 010.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 155
  • CZ 17 and the Squirrel 009.jpg
    CZ 17 and the Squirrel 009.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 159
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.