Scope

Need more info such as:

Budget? 1500

Use case? Hunting or Target shooting? Hunting mainly in heavy woods [SE TX]

Magnification Range? I prefer 16-18

Reticle Type? ?? Original or duplex if I have the chose.

Illuminated or not? Perfect not

FFP or SFP? SFP

Objective Size? I prefer 59

Tube Size? I like 30 but not a deal breaker if different

It sounds like you want an exposed elevation turret, but won't be doing a significant amount of dialing in the areas where you hunt. You have so many good options. I would recommend a manufacturer with excellent warranties and spend the time narrowing down what you are looking for in the rifle scope. Heavily wooded areas are typically calling for starting in the low magnification range and will benefit from illuminated simple reticle like a fire dot duplex or similar. The Trijicon Creedo is getting great reviews.

I would suggest a face to face with some shooter that has demonstrated abilities and fundamental knowledge of optics and can explain common optical terms such as refraction, reflection, chromatic & spherical aberration, MOA (minute of angle), MILRAD (milliradian), reticle, (etched or wire) fully coated, erector tube, 1st or 2nd focal plane, internal workings such as springs. All this stuff might sound complicated but is basic. A basic knowledge of how things work combined with actual demonstrations and hands on use (like look thru it) will enable selection of the correct scope for your situation. Another consideration would be how the scope would be mounted (like rings & bases) on your rifle.

Finally, before buying, give the manufacturer of the scope a call and verify what kind of customer service & warranty that you might expect. Look at their web site to verify what specifications that would work for your situation (like could you mount the scope on your rifle). Should they be too busy to consider your inquiry consider another brand.

I would add to Hugnot's post to be mindful about the nature of the turrets ie. locking/zero stop operation etc. For a hunting rifle that will be carried say on a backpack, locking/covered turrets can be very handy. Also, you need to understand how you will adjust for wind, will you dial or use a graded reticle? Adjusting for wind is very important and sometimes overlooked by buyers. Adjusting for elevation is the easy part these days with all the great range finding tools available.

I would add to Hugnot's post to be mindful about the nature of the turrets ie. locking/zero stop operation etc. For a hunting rifle that will be carried say on a backpack, locking/covered turrets can be very handy. Also, you need to understand how you will adjust for wind, will you dial or use a graded reticle? Adjusting for wind is very important and sometimes overlooked by buyers. Adjusting for elevation is the easy part these days with all the great range finding tools available.
Thank you sir

One last thing from me, if I were buying a scope I am not familiar with already, I would like to take it in my hands and actually look through it at alow light. That would mean actually visiting a store.

What sort of ballpark distance do you plan on shooting?

Do you prefer to dial your elevation in mils, moa, or a yardage dial?

How do you compensate for wind?

I once missed a shot at a trophy rock chuck because the elevation knob on my scope was uncovered and got moved sometime while I was eating roasted beef sandwiches & iced tea for lunch.

Scopes usually look good inside LGS'. If they know you real good, ask to take it outside & try looking thru it at your car parked at a distant spot having a newspaper with different size print attached to car & check out scope resolution & brightness.

Last edited: