Scope without breaking the bank

Several have suggested the vx5. The one I have sure seems like a lot of scope for the money. Pretty decent glass. Tracks well. And some what on the lighter side. And as I've gotten older this has become more important. 5 years ago I wouldn't have considered any thing but a nightforce. And I still have some and think they are great. But the weight does have me looking at others for some of my hunting rigs. Good luck and be safe.

I have owned a couple of Sightron scopes. Still have a 3-9x36 SII Blue Sky. The SIII have a good reputation for solid tracking. I have never owned one but have always thought of them as a potential value scope for the future.

Many good choices here. Take a drive and get rid of some cabin fever. Go to one of the big chains that sell some of these scopes or to one of the many sportsman shows that are coming and look through some of these scopes. That is the best way to pick what you will like best. Different type crosshairs, powers, sharpness for your eyes you have to look through each, and don't be afraid to make notes and take your time. Good luck hunting and be safe. May 2018 be your best year ever.

I have came to find ones eyes may see different than others. I will never buy another optic without having looked though one first.
There is some glass that is highly regarded by many that I find to be on a lesser scale than what others led me to believe.
Repeatability is #1. Even if your not twisting knobs a lot and there is a question of repeating I look at them with a bit of caution. Though granted any and all things mechanical are prone to breakage and some type of failure. That is where I read a lot of reviews. I take those with a dose of salts though. Some that have never had or really used good glass don't have a clue what they have.
If your a set it and forget it type you can get a LOT of scope for the money. If your prone as many of actually using all the "whistles and bells" go for it, but look at their track record.
Jeff

The best value in the quality of the glass has to be the VX-5HD line. Leupold has Clarity and light transmission comparable to scopes costing more than twice as much. The 5's are pretty bare bones as far as features go.

I have came to find ones eyes may see different than others. I will never buy another optic without having looked though one first.
There is some glass that is highly regarded by many that I find to be on a lesser scale than what others led me to believe.
Repeatability is #1. Even if your not twisting knobs a lot and there is a question of repeating I look at them with a bit of caution. Though granted any and all things mechanical are prone to breakage and some type of failure. That is where I read a lot of reviews. I take those with a dose of salts though. Some that have never had or really used good glass don't have a clue what they have.
If your a set it and forget it type you can get a LOT of scope for the money. If your prone as many of actually using all the "whistles and bells" go for it, but look at their track record.
Jeff
I agree.

The best value in the quality of the glass has to be the VX-5HD line. Leupold has Clarity and light transmission comparable to scopes costing more than twice as much. The 5's are pretty bare bones as far as features go.

The glass is no better than a Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50. I had one and returned it. Now I have three of the 6500s.

The glass is no better than a Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50. I had one and returned it. Now I have three of the 6500s.
HI Rich : That 4&1/2 to 30X50 sounds nice. Is it a 1" tube or a 30mm ? Is it clear at the upper end and what + hair is in it ?

HI Rich : That 4&1/2 to 30X50 sounds nice. Is it a 1" tube or a 30mm ? Is it clear at the upper end and what + hair is in it ?

They have a 30mm tube. They weigh twenty-three ounces. The reason I have three is because they are crystal clear throughout their range and are pretty good in low light. When compared to all four Swarovski z5 5-25X52 I HAD at the same time the z5 required at least 1X more to see the same detail on my optics chart; which is 127 yards from my porch where I compare optics. They last longer in low light than my Minox 13X56 binoculars but not as long as my Minox 15X58.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.