Scope TOPPED out.. Bad scope?

Get your money back on the laser.
Remove all the shims.
Pull the bolt out.
Bag up the rifle so that it doesn't move.
Sight through the bore at 100 yds.
Adjust your scope as best possible.
Shoot.
You should at least be on a 2'x2' sheet of paper with your first shot.
Make the necessary windage and elevation adjustments and shoot again.
Second shot should be in the bullseye.

-- richard

Pull the bolt out.
Bag up the rifle so that it doesn't move.
Sight through the bore at 100 yds.
Adjust your scope as best possible.
Shoot.
You should at least be on a 2'x2' sheet of paper with your first shot.
Make the necessary windage and elevation adjustments and shoot again.
Second shot should be in the bullseye.

-- richard

Thats what I do richard only at 50 yds. Bore sight and shoot 1 round. ( Targets I use are white back and red or orange colored) Adjust scope to the hole...fire second shot and if necessary adjust more..?? Shoot 1 round for accuracy and I should be right on at 50 yards...then I back up to the 100 yard mark and fire 3 shots, which SHOULD be right where I want it for elevation.

Its real easy to see a bullet hole at 50 yards on a white and red target...no spotting scope or anything needed.

Yes the base is on the correct way. I have used the laser and looked down the bore but only inside my house. They both seem to line up at close range. Maybe that is my problem, i am at a very close distance. I will bring it to the range and see what i can do with it. Thanks for all the tips. Ill let you know!

Yes the base is on the correct way. I have used the laser and looked down the bore but only inside my house. They both seem to line up at close range. Maybe that is my problem, i am at a very close distance. I will bring it to the range and see what i can do with it. Thanks for all the tips. Ill let you know!
There's just no way you'll get them aligned at close range with the laser. Whatever the measured distance from the center of the scope to the center of your bore is going to be as close as you can possibly get up close.

Stretch it out to at least 25yds and figure about 2" above the laser spot to center your cross hairs and you should be getting very close to decent alignment at 100yds. You will at least be close enough to get on paper if something else isn't amiss.

im confused!

If it is a one price rail, or even a two price base system, you can not invert them on a Remington, because the screw pattern and indexing are different dimensions. I am all for as was previously mentioned, remove all shims, yank the bolt, and bore sight it through the receiver BY EYE, at a target with a good size dot at 100 yds. I have done this a thousand times, and usually only have to make one or two corrections. Bag the gun, line up the bore, hold the gun steady, and dial it to the paper. If it is a Japanese, or Chinese scope, it could very well be that it has limited elevation. Hope this helps

My system is less high tech than some ;but if the barrel shoots where it points it works. I put my tripod on the tail gate of my truck and center the door nob on my pump house in the barrel- about 50 yards.I then adjust the cross hairs until they are centered in the key hole.Then off to the range to start shooting at 100 yards.No lasers no targets to set up- works!

I have tried a laser a couple times and zeroed at about 50 yard with it. Took off to the range and wouldnt even hit the paper. I say round file the laser and do the old fashioned bore sight like the others are saying. Ryan

If it is a one price rail, you can not invert them on a Remington, because the screw pattern and indexing are different dimensions.

Actually it can be done, as my co-worker's friend managed to do. :(:(:(

Incorrectly, but it can be done (forward of 1-piece rail mounted on aft of the receiver) ... because of the pattern as you mentioned, the 2 inside receiver plug screws/clearance holes are misaligned, however, the outer receiver plug screws/clearance holes are still aligned. In other words, he only used the outer screws and then covered it with the rings. Yikes! :(:(:(.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts