Scope-to-barrel clearance

lynxpilot

It's been discussed a little, so yes I did a search. Recently mounted a decent Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 8.5-25x50 to a custom-barreled Weatherby Mk V 338-378 on a B&C stock. The barrel has a brake, and the whole system isn't too bad for recoil, but it definitely has some recoil. I wanted to keep the scope close to the barrel and got rings that have about 20 MOA down and the edge of the end bell at the objective lens has about 1/32" clearance.

Anybody had issues with tight scope to barrel clearance on heavier recoil rifles?

Would prefer not to slap the scope on the barrel.

Here's a shot of the clearance:

Attachments

• scopeclearance.jpg
    scopeclearance.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 133
IMO, as long as it doesn't rest on the barrel at any time under any conditions it should be fine. I usually strive for a 1/16" clearance so I can get a cleaning cloth under it when necessary but I have some small caliber center fire rifles that run a little closer than that.

Silly question from a total newbie, but, how does the rifle shoot with the tight clearances you've got? I believe Fearnowind mentioned no touching at any time, my question is, does it,? and does it have an effect on accuracy? If not, why worry? (This is an actual question I'm asking because I don't know and based on other threads I've read on here, everyone else does know!)

Took it out and it didn't hit. Accuracy was fine. As for covers, I had to buy screw-in, which I prefer anyway.

"Would prefer not to slap the scope on the barrel. "

Not really sure what you mean by this, but you if you mean hitting the barrel under recoil then you don't have a good mount. It shouldn't move at all or it won't be repeatable.
With heavy recoil a lot of guys will put more than 2 rings on a scope.

I have had to grind the bottom of the scope caps off to get them to fit, not a big deal.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.