Scope this out?

Silverdoctor

I was at the range today sighting in my son's 300 win mag for an upcoming elk hunting trip... I was trying out the new Hornaday Superformance 180 grain SST cartridges. The rifle has a Nikon Monarch scope that has always been reliable. When I fired the first group of 3 at 200 yards, the group was very tight... less than an inch, but about an inch and a half low. I raised it a few clicks and tried again. To my surprise, the first shot was now at the correct elevation, but went to the right by an inch and a half. Well, maybe I pulled it... so I fired another round and it was right next to the last shot. Has anyone had this problem with a Nikon Monarch scope? I checked the rings and mounts and they were all tight... I am puzzled. Could there be a problem with the cross hair adjustment or their stability? Any ideas?

Thanks for your suggestion... The scope has been on that rifle for 3 years and has always worked very well at the range and in the field... it was put on the rifle by a gunsmith who has a good reputation... I think it is plumb, but that is a possibility.

Crazy... I tightened everything up and brought it back to the range this morning... moved it to the left about 8 clicks and it was right on the money... very strange... I just hope it doesn't move on me unexpectedly again... especially when I am hunting this fall!

Check the cross hairs in the scope, If you move your eye does the crosshairs move on the target? Not getting the same cheek weld could be a part of the problem.

I had a nikon scope go bad on me once--if you put the rifle on sand bags and look through the scope without touching the rifle, lightly tap on the side of the scope.....In my case you could see the reticle "dance".

I sent the scope back to nikon for a replacement, it took quite a bit of time to get the replacement but it was under warranty