Scope that won't break on 300 win mag

I have a Savage in 300 win mag that absolutely eats scopes. I've blew up 4 scopes . 2 Bushnell and 2 Vortex . They have all be warranted . I usually miss something before I know the scope is junk. I have a DNZ Game Reaper mount . I'm not looking to break the bank here . $500 -$600 is my budget . Any ideas ??? Thanks.
Leupold cds 4x14x40

Got about 500 rounds of 300 RUM in a hunting rifle on a Sightron SIII with no issues fwiw.

Would avoid Zeiss.

Anything Nightforce! Buy a used, demo or blem SHV 4-14x56. As for Vortex, I was at Wolf Precision shooting school in PA and a cop from one of the Boston burbs was shooting a Savage 300 WM and a $3400 Vortex (not what he paid with police discount), both the Savage (pic rail) and Vortex failed (wouldn't adjust after 75 shots). I think the Vortex was the AMG model.

I shot the course with a 6.5 Creedmoor (Ruger Target/Varmint) and a Sightron S-Tac 4-20 because I didn't have an extra Nightforce and didn't want to take one off one of my hunting rifle.

I've mounted north of a hundred vortex vipers alone mostly on magnums, have yet to see one be sent back, used to see multiple Leupolds a month make the trip.
You can jack a vortex up with incorrect mounting, I've seen guys crank rings down right at the erector and deform tubes.
I actually used a Viper to test rifles that came in with accuracy issues, when a rifle came in with a Leupold that was the first thing to test.

Are you a Vortex dealer?

I have a Savage in 300 win mag that absolutely eats scopes. I've blew up 4 scopes . 2 Bushnell and 2 Vortex . They have all be warranted . I usually miss something before I know the scope is junk. I have a DNZ Game Reaper mount . I'm not looking to break the bank here . $500 -$600 is my budget . Any ideas ??? Thanks.
You just answered your own question

I've found its better to figure out the issue, if one optic goes down ya it broke get it fixed and keep rolling but to have 4 go down, gotta start looking for the common denominator and figure out the real issue.
I agree with this. It may not be an issue with the brand of optic being used. May be in the way they are being mounted.

Shop USED. Many good used scopes from Leupold can be had at that price point.

I don't buy the idea that you need a NF-priced scope to reliably take the recoil of a 300 WM. $500 should be more than enough. I guess it's possible that you are really one unlucky person (getting 4 lemons), but I would seriously consider the mount or the way the scopes are mounted. Have you used those exact rings without issue before? I use DNZ on my hunting rifles and they have been great, but that doesn't mean they couldn't have made a set out of round or slightly too small. I'd start there. The other possibly seems to be over tightening. To answer your question, as others have said, all companies have a product or two that will break, but Leupold is where I'd go next given your budget.

if you are pressed for $$ the ticket is the Bushnell 4-12 as sold by Walmart years ago next any Leupold VX-II or better I can confirm will last. Zeiss Conquest GTG we (I & the younger boy) been using Z5 5-25 & Z6 5-30 Sawro's.

The Bushnell I am talking about has been on my older boys MK V 300wby since he was 16 so about 11 years of pounding it came in a plastic case not a box - you can not kill these.

These are based on 0-10 degree temps during hunting seasons in NY & Pa. on various 300wby - most Bushnell / Tasco type cannot take the shock in the cold from my experience.

My friend has a 300 WM with a cheap Simmons on it, it's been there for a couple decades and works fine. If you are damaging so many scopes I would
1) look at your mount. It is true?
2) how your mounting it, are you only tightening the rings to 10-15 in/lbs (not ft/lbs) on the tube?
People think they need to really crank down on the rings and they just end up ruining the scope tubes

Darrell

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.