Scope suggestions

Buccaneerfan

I am looking for a scope to use for my 7mm-08 browning a-bolt. I am going to use it as an all-around scope- deer, prairie dogs, and competition. I am just getting started and would like to spend around $400-500. I know that this is probably not enough to get anything great but I think I would like something that has a magnification of at least 14 and something like a mil dot reticle for me to use. What have you guys had good luck with?

Haven't bought a $500 scope yet, but I can attest to Vortex's excellent customer service. Recently bought a crossfire and it was "blurry". Called Vortex and they said send it back. Had a new one in less than a week. I shoot out to 1000yd at groundhogs here in Pa. A friend has a Bushnell Elite 1600 and looking out at 1000yd. his is definitely a "little" clearer. If your not shooting over 400yd. spending the extra money may not be necessary. You will definitely get a clearer view for the money though. If you have it to spend, I don't think you will regret spending it. I'm surprised you haven't gotten more response to your thread. Several good options in this price range. I've looked into them, but just haven't bought one so I will let opinions to those who have personal experience. Good luck!

kdvarmint.

I looked through a Vortex Viper PST a little while ago and gotta say I'm impressed with the glass. It looks good and the EBR1 is nice. Vortex doesn't publish their twilight factor, but I wonder how it does in low light conditions...

If I were you I'd look at a Vortex Viper for your price range.

Vortex Optics - Viper 6.5-20x50 PA Mil Dot Reticle

Only thing I don't like is it has a mil reticle with MOA adjustments. That's just senseless IMHO.

Add a little money and I'd definitely go for the PST version with EBR1 and 1/10 mil click value. Again, MHO. Good luck with whatever you get!

You may want to consider a Weaver Super Slam scope. Very very good glass in them, higher power ones have side focus and all have pullup target type turrets. About only negative thing about the Super Slams in powerrange you are interested is their weight....kinda on the heavy side. Not a scope you'd want on a light carry rifle.

Take a look at www.natchezss.com good prices there on them and Weaver is running a $50 rebate on them too.

I am kinda looking at the sightron 6-24x42 and the nikon buckmasters 6-18x40. They are both in my price range and seem to have what I want. Anybody have experience with these? What do you think?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.