scope suggestions

2tall

I have been doing my first rifle build, havent put it together yet but i will be a 280 ackley with pac nor barrel on a savage 110 action. I have a bsa majestic 6-24 on the rifle as it is now (30-06) but i plan on upgrading. Ive been researching alot lately. I plan on using the gun for target/hunting. Where i live most my deer hunting is under 200 yards but my whole goal with this rifle is to shoot 500 and then maybe step out as far as i can. Hopefully 1000 some day but most likely 7-800 yards will be the furthest i can find to shoot around here. I would be comfortable spending 400 maybe 500 but in my research i just keep coming back to the same scope. Ive got my eye on the primary arms 4-14 ffp. It just has so many options that i want and people seem to think the clarity is extremely good (for what it is) When looking for a scope i wanted side focus mildots with mil turrets with magnification at least 12 power. The primary arms is quite a bit under my budget and im good with that as long as im happy with it. Im not one of those people that gets off by bragging about what i spent on something. Besides the way i look at it that would be money saved that can go towards reloading supplies. Plus the ffp would be a nice bonus. But if theres another scope out there that would work better for me please help me out. Thanks!

Hello again, 2tall. I am very happy with my Vortex Vipers. I use the HSLR model, but they are in MOA only so far as I know. If you must have MILs, the HS-Ts and PSTs can be had with MIL/MIL setup. Whatever you chose, make sure the turrets and reticle are the same unit. When Mildot reticles first became the rage, many scope makers put mildot reticles in scopes that had MOA turret adjustments. Which unit you prefer is totally up to you, but don't get a scope with a "split personality".

Hello again, 2tall. I am very happy with my Vortex Vipers. I use the HSLR model, but they are in MOA only so far as I know. If you must have MILs, the HS-Ts and PSTs can be had with MIL/MIL setup. Whatever you chose, make sure the turrets and reticle are the same unit. When Mildot reticles first became the rage, many scope makers put mildot reticles in scopes that had MOA turret adjustments. Which unit you prefer is totally up to you, but don't get a scope with a "split personality".

I have one of these scopes you speak of.... I love it! I dont mind the mil dot reticle and moa adjustment.... Its all relative my friend. Just comes down to personal preference.
Happy shooting! gun)

your trying to do two totally different things. What works in the hunting field out to 500 yards is a totally different scope then a 1000 yards scope. If you truly want 1000 yard glass be prepared to open you wallet wide, its no place for 400 dollar scopes. If hunting deer sized game out to 500 yards is the mail goal then any quality 3x9 to 4x12 scope will get it done. Asking for something that would be ideal for both is about like finding a super model that isn't high maintenance and will cook your supper everynight when she gets home ;)

Lol i see what you mean about the whole super model that can cook. Honestly the farthest place that i know of to shoot around here is 500. Hopefully i find somewhere longer but 500 is all im really counting on. But i saw the video on youtube called "1000 yard gun for $1000" and they featured that primary arms on that video. They never said it was the best scope they had ever seen but the performance seemed like it would be just right for me. I got the feeling the scopes they tested werent really 1000yrd scopes but they where just showing what they could do at that range and the primary arms was the cheapest in the test but performed the best. Also i know that some people can deal with the whole mil reticle and moa turret. Im sure i could figure it out but i just dont want to. If im starting from scratch i may as well get something that makes sense. Ive found simplicity is usually the best option

Look up the SWFA 5-20 X 50. With the exception of the design of the reticle, I can't see any difference, optically, between it and my buddies NF. It may even be a little better in lower light. One of the biggest things you are paying for in the higher range optics is tracking, even more so than clarity. The clicks match the reticle perfectly in the SWFA. They also have a 3-15X42

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, just checked out the swfa 3-15 and it is impressive, its higher than i would like to spend but i'll definitely have to consider it. It looks like it would be a little more appropriate for my build than primary arms. So i guess where im at now is do i want to get the primary arms or wait a while and save up extra money for the swfa. Decisions decisions! But thats why i posted this thread, to make sure im not overlooking any scopes that would work for me

Since you are right on the fence, this vid should push you over. Feel free to curse me when your eyes fall out of your head after watching the +50 hours of the Sniper101 series.

Why 280AI and not 7mm mag? The build that I am working on was going to be in either 280 or 280AI until I found a reduced load that hodgdon has for the 7mag. I think they call them youth loads. Once I found that load data and realized that I could have a 7mag that you could shoot out at 1500+ with one load and have another load that did not burn up barrels and was a soft shooter, I changed the plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well for some reason i cant figure out how to watch the video. Could you maybe post a link or send it to me or something? And i chose 280 ai because i wanted to improve my bc by switching to a 7mm but my friend has a 7mag that shoots really well but that is after i found the perfect load for it which took LOTS of experimenting. I found his to be very picky. His literally shoots 2 in groups with every other ammo but my handloads that are very very tailored to his gun shoot very very good but honestly it was a major pain in the ***** to get there. Even my browning bar is much easier to load for. The 280ai should be similar fps (100 less) but it should be much more forgiving. And i didnt want to change bolt face and deal with the belted case. I basically decided on the 280 rem but then i figured that since i reload i may as well take advantage of the extra case capacity and case life and go ackley

If you put your cursor in the center of the vid, a red box should pop up and click on that. If that doesn't work it is on you tube. A search for "SWFA Real story Rex Reviews" will pop it up in google. Like most of his videos, it is fairly long but has good information. There are a couple of other videos in his sniper 101 series that deal with optic choices.

Ah thats why, im on my phone now but i should be able to get on a computer tomorrow and check it out thanks!

Never mind i looked up that video on youtube, awesome video and a truly good review. Im sold on the scope but im just not sold on the price tag, yet lol I did some more research today and i think i will try out the primary arms. It seems like a solid 500 yard scope. But later on if i get a chance to shoot 1000 i can upgrade to that swfa 3-15 because well its just awesome. I have a 22-250 that i can move the primary arms to when that day comes. It needs an upgrade anyway. I just hope i can find somewhere around here to shoot 1000. I live in the ozarks in missouri so lots of hills and lots of trees. But i see videos on youtube where they shoot and then like 5 or 6 seconds later you hear it hit and that just gets me amped. So if theres anyway i can shoot that far i will because it just seems really fun!

The primary arms scope got here today and before i go blabbing on i will say that i am no optics expert. Ive always had cheep scopes. Lots of tascos, have a few old weaver fixed powers, several bsa (which is what this pa is replacing). This scope blew me away. My first impression is this thing feels twice as heavy as my bsa majestic 6-24 but the bsa is physically bigger (except for turrets). The clarity is what blew me away. I have a konus 3x9 that was my clearest scope until now. I just looked through a friends nikon prostaff yesterday and im thinking this primary arms might be clearer. I'll have to do a side by side test but i know it will be close in clarity. The turrets are very nice, the windage for some reason doesnt seem quite as good as the elevation idk the elevation just has a slightly nicer feel. Maybe thats just me. The zoom is my only complaint, only because its a little stiffer than i would prefer. Overall im very happy with it, someday it may get replaced with something better when a bigger budget is possible but for the money this primary arms seems tough to beat

The Brand New .......Rudolph T1 6-24x50mm with the T3 reticle.
Available at $995, delivered to your address of choice......"Excellent Value for Money"

Features:
* Full Lifetime Guarantee
* Fully Multi-Coated Lenses
* 30 mm Tube Diameter
* Tactical Turrets
* T3 Reticle
* Made in Japan

5876f30ef316f63ca5efa42f416a33b1_zps1b9f5a3e.jpg

Todd Neice
Cell: 330 705 7458
E-mail: [email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.