Scope Suggestions (Tasco TR416x40 / Nikon Monarch III 2.5-10X42)

mdtennant

I am interested in what folks think about the Tasco TR416x40 vs the Nikon Monarch III 2.5-10X42 on a 7mm Rem Mag.

I have a 7mm Rem Mag Howa 1500 (Imported from Interarms) and a Tasco TR416x40 that I bought new in 1996, but never used (long boring story). I plan on using the 7mm Rem Mag mainly for whitetail, but would also like to use it for elk. After really looking at the range finding process involved with using the TR416x40, I was considering moving to the Nikon (likely a 2.5-10x42) because I wasn't sure I wanted to fuss with dialing the scope in while trying to take a shot. Then I came across some reviews where folks really like the TR416x40, and claim the clarity from that generation Tasco scope is hard to beat.

What do you think about the TR416x40 in general, and as a scope for hunting whitetail and elk? Is it a matter of the TR416x40 being more suitable for elk and the Nikon being more suitable for whitetail, or is the Nikon well suitable for both? How do these two stack up against each other?

Many Thanks,

Mike

From experience with a tasco scope in general, they can be mounted and sighted in and left alone. I have never had a tasco that would repeat its zero once the up/down elevation was adjusted up or down. All of the ones I have had did not repeat there zero point. So if you want to test try and do the square test at 100yrds and to see if the zero is repeatable. Go up 5 or 10 MOA, across to right 10MOA, down 10 MOA and back left 10MOA making shots at each stop. If the scope hold its true it will end back up at its zero point where you started. I would start there. If it has a mil dot or MOA reticle and you don't plan on using the turrets then its probably ok for a low end scope. For as the Nikon I consider them a definite step up in glass and in quality. The Monarchs line is some of there upper grade scopes. My friends back out east has one on a 300WM and it works great. Good glass for the money. It a different model than what you have specified but it hold its zero quite well. He only uses the BDC reticle but when we sighted it in it would hold its zero after I had jacked it up and down playing around. I was tring to show him how to use his turret instead of the BDC reticle. He reaiiy wasn't interested in tring to use the turret though. All I can say is try out the tasco and see if it will repeat its zero. My personal opinion is Nikon is a much better scope. For as shooting long range with a 10 power...I would think you would want something like 16 or 20 power. All depends on what you are tring to accomplish. Sorry about the long winded comment.gun):D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.