Scope strategy and Vortex 6.5-20x44 questions

chowder

After reading as much on here about scopes, hold over, mil dot,moa,etc as I can handle I'm seriously considering buying a Vortex 6.5-20x44. Not sure if the target dot or the v-plex is the right reticle for me. The scope will be going on a Savage 11 LRH 6.5 Creedmoor. I will be hunting white tail w/ it & also as a backup for yotes.Practically speaking, most of our 'long range' shots around here are 300-400 yds, but there are lots of those opportunities here on our farm.
Here's how I am trying to use a rifle scope for what I think of as longer range shots;
I'm in the process of shooting my way out to 400yds (using a 150yd zero) w/ my Savage 10 22-250 heavy (Mueller 8.5-25x50) and making a trajectory table using clicks to gain each elevation (this process does not seem any more cumbersome than any of these 'customized ballistic turret programs' and I get to see just what is happening or not happening w/ each group). I was assuming I would do the same thing with the deer rifle.
So, in general I am hoping to be able to use my laser range finder to determine range and then use my own trajectory table (from my rifle w/ my cartridge) to adjust (dial up) the scope up for longer range shots (haven't dealt w/ wind yet!)
So, will this way work? Is this the right scope for me or am I as hopelessly screwed up as I feel? Thanks for any help!

I have one in Vplex.
Use the vplex wide IMHO. The crosshairs on that reticle subtend very little, even at 300yds and further. Even groundhog or prairie dog shots should be no problem with that reticle, yet it's still bold enough to be seen in fading light for coyotes.
The vortex dials very well. I can dial it up from a 100yd zero to 300yds,and back down again with no more variance in POI than I would normally get from shooting groups.
Just make sure the scope mounting and your rifle are perfectly vertical.

Your process will work just fine. I have Vortex 6x20x44 Vipers with the v-plex and target dot reticle. I have been satisfied with both to 1000yds and have been pleased with the turrents and consistency of the adjustments. They are a very good value scope.

The target dot reticle is new to me and I have not used it hunting yet. I have read it can be tougher to see in low light conditions but I feel its going to kill stuff just fine.

I have two Vipers in 6.5 x 20 x 44, one in V-plex and the other in mil-dot. I have not used the mil-dot yet but I am very pleased with the v-plex on my 300wsm, tracks great and adjusts true.. The mil-dot will be going on an M.O.A. pistol when I get it ..

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts