Scope Slipping

sealer

Any tips on the scope slipping inside the rings. All screws are super tight.
Gun is a Howa 1500 in 338 Win Mag w/ 2 piece bases, weaver style rings with a Leupold scope. Scope has shifted backwards enough to lock the power ring against the scope ring.
TIA, Dennis

What brand rings on the rifle? If they're not holding, perhaps a better quality set may help. You may need to verify the scope holds zero, if not send it to Leupold for repair.

If you don't want to try new rings. Take the scope out of the rings and degrease all the contact points including the ring screws.
Scrub them until they are squeaky clean, literally.

Then get some blue locktite and put a very little dab in the center of the bottom rings, very small dab will work, then do the same with the screws. I had to do this with some Weaver rings on a 300 Weatherby.
It never moved again, when I removed the scope the locktite cleaned right up with some brake clean.

Could use more information but have you lapped the rings? This increases the contact area of the rings and should help. Also eliminates ring marks on scopes. I won't mount a scope without lapping. There are a few other options as others have stated. Good luck and let us know

What brand rings on the rifle? .

My question also. Some $4.00 scope rings can be found on EBay, and some retailers might be using these in their stock. If you cannot determine the brand, I would try a quality set of rings. I was told by a knowledgable gunsmith that a "Quality" set of rings don't need to be lapped, but you might consider having this done as well.

The rings I'm using now are cheapies. I think I'm going to try a new set of rings.
Thanks, Dennis

S, the Burris zee rings are very well made and strong. $29.95 at Sportsman's Warehouse here. Great price for great rings. If you have a Sportsman's near you they will mount the scope with an inch pound torque wrench and laser boresight it free.

If you dont want to do new rings the blue loctite sounds good ! My cheap fix is black vinyl electrical tape ,,, ! 4 pieces 1 inch long applied to each ring section... if it slips after that something is seriously wrong.

from experience with a tikka t3 lite 338WM, the loctite trick works wonders. I used talley lightweight rings and the dab of loctite and never had any issues with recoil moving the scope. I was known to run some stiff 250gr handloads through that gun and the scope held tight. get some decent rings, maybe lap a little and use some loctite and you'll be set for sure.

I will second the cheapie electrical tape or loc tite (or nail polish) fix lol. Has worked in a pinch when I could not get new rings.

Do what you can to get a good mounting system, especially on a rifle with recoil. It will make all the difference in the world with regard to consistency.

Might be worth looking at new rings. Depending on budget the leupold STD rings and base have done pretty well without costing too much, but the heaviest recoil I can personally say they handle is a lightweight 7mm mag. I would get the best ones you can, the nod would go to nightforce for me. You will appreciate them the first time you drop the rifle on a big jagged rock... not that I know about that... lol

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts