Scope Selection

Blacktail

Gentlemen I apologize as I am sure someone has posted this before but need some opinion on scope selection for my STW

I had a 4.5x14x40 Leu CDS and like it but when shooting milk jugs at 500 yards realized prob could use a bit more magnification so that scope now sits on my Forbes 280. I have sort of narrow it down to the following but most of my experience has been with leuopold

Zeiss conquest 4x18x44 probably plex reticle
Leu varix 6 3-18x44
Swarovski 3.5-18x44
Huskemaw probably the 5x20x50
Not too sold on the votex yet but would consider. T

his thing is a tack driver and def dont want to hold the guns capabilities back by inferior glass or durability if that makes sense.

Gentlemen I apologize as I am sure someone has posted this before but need some opinion on scope selection for my STW

I had a 4.5x14x40 Leu CDS and like it but when shooting milk jugs at 500 yards realized prob could use a bit more magnification so that scope now sits on my Forbes 280. I have sort of narrow it down to the following but most of my experience has been with leuopold

Zeiss conquest 4x18x44 probably plex reticle
Leu varix 6 3-18x44
Swarovski 3.5-18x44
Huskemaw probably the 5x20x50
Not too sold on the votex yet but would consider. T

his thing is a tack driver and def dont want to hold the guns capabilities back by inferior glass or durability if that makes sense.

I prefer the 4.5x14 power for hunting, But have several 6.5x20 that work well at longer distances.

I find that any more power than 20 tends to show heart beat and instability to the point of distraction
so I stick with the 14 power mostly.

If you plan to shoot beyond 1000 yards a more powerful scope can be utilized and for targets, the sky is the limit.

The STW is more than capable of 1000 yard shots and for hunting could benefit from a 6x20 power of your choice.

Just My opinion

J E CUSTOM

I prefer the 4.5x14 power for hunting, But have several 6.5x20 that work well at longer distances.

I find that any more power than 20 tends to show heart beat and instability to the point of distraction
so I stick with the 14 power mostly.

If you plan to shoot beyond 1000 yards a more powerful scope can be utilized and for targets, the sky is the limit.

The STW is more than capable of 1000 yard shots and for hunting could benefit from a 6x20 power of your choice.

Just My opinion

J E CUSTOM

Thanks that is a concern with the 20 that and mirage I imagine. Thanks

The Zeiss Conquest 5-25x50 would also be a great alternative. You get the low 5x magnification for closer shots, and the 25 for stretching out at distance.

On my Sendero SF 7STW, I have a Vortex Viper HS 6-24x50 with the BDC reticle, and that is an awesome scope for the money. I would also include it in your list. When you remove the scope caps, you have finger-adjustable turrets, and you can also reset them instantly back to 0 with NO tools.

Also, if you're looking for upper-end scopes with a good price range, look into the SWFA SS HD 5-25x50 scope with their Mil-Quad reticle. I have been told their HD glass is on par with Swaro, Kahles, Schmidt, NF, etc... I have one of their regular SS fixed power scopes, and for $300, it is built exceptionally well. Of course, the original SS fixed-power scopes (the ones that are $299 now) cost over $800 back when the Navy contracted them for their sniper rifles, but once the Navy contract was out, they built the same scopes, but dropped the price to where anyone can afford one.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.