scope selection for my rem. 700 sps 7mag

onebadmuley

hello i have a new rem. 700 sps 7mag and im looking for some advise on scope selection. i would like to reach out to the 700-800 yard mark. any suggestions/advise welcome. ive been thinking about the nikon monarch 6-24x50 because of cost. is this a good scope? or should i be looking at something else

hello i have a new rem. 700 sps 7mag and im looking for some advise on scope selection. i would like to reach out to the 700-800 yard mark. any suggestions/advise welcome. ive been thinking about the nikon monarch 6-24x50 because of cost. is this a good scope? or should i be looking at something else

6-24 is plenty of power for 800 yards.

Beware that the BDC reticle will only work at max power because of the second focal plane. I shot thier cheapest model (3-9x BDC, $170) and did well up to 700 yards with a 243.

You could take a look at the Clearidge Ultra XP5 at the Optics Zone, I've got the 4.5x22.5x50 and actually prefer it over my Nikon Tactical. Definately worth a look.

Chris

Everyone's eye is a little different, so what might appear to be a great scope to some may appear to be mediocre to others. Point being, try to get your hands on as many scopes as possible. When I was on a budget i looked at the Nikon Monarchs as well. I found them to be of very good quality for the price.... but decided against one because of the reticles (too light, I like the sharp black ones like Zeiss uses). I ultimately went with a Sightron Big Sky II and all I can say is ...WOW! One of the best kept secrets in mid-priced scopes, just as good as my Bushnell 6500 series and blows my Leupolds out of the water. Speaking of Bushnell, you would also be hard pressed to find a better value then their Elite 4200 series. Good luck with your search.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.