Scope selection dilemma!

Juano86

G'day Guys,
I have just purchased a Howa 1500 in a GRS stock in .243 and have a few scope selection dramas. Im trying to shoot this out to 1000yrds so im looking for a decent optic under $1000... im tossing up between the Ziess Conquest HD5 5-25x50 (RZ1000 reticle), the Sightron SIII 6-24x50 (MOA-2 reticle) or the Nightforce SHV 5-20x56 (MOAR reticle) All are around the same price here in Australia.
Is the Sightron in FFP or SFP and what is the total usable MOA i can expect from each? im trying to come up with a combination of rail, rings and scope selection that will let me adequately get to shooting 1000yrds. I do prefer SFP however. Open to all opinions and suggestions.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I have two Sightron SIII's in 6-24, SFP and love them! They have 100 moa of travel, glass is great and the tracking is spot on. Nightforce is a good choice also as well as the Zeiss but I drank the Sightron coolaid.

Drank the Sightron Kool-Aid myself. Have 2 SIII (Both have MOA-2 reticle) & a S-Tac. They sit on 28 Nosler, 6.5 Creedmoor & a 6 Creedmoor. Great scopes, especially for the money! All of them track great. In fact I'm looking to get a 3rd SIII for another 6.5 Creedmoor. Yes, I also drank the 6.5 Kool-Aid. I'm a SFP fan myself. All 3 brands you mentioned are good scopes.

I use a Sightron III 8x32 with the MOA 2 reticle and a Zeiss with the RZ1000. For 1K shooting you need a good dialing scope with a MOA/MIL type reticle. My RZ1000 reticle is really only good to 500, maybe 600 yards. I use it on hunting rifle or quicker 4~500 yards shots. There are just too many variables for a RZ1000 reticle at distance. Elevation changes air density, etc.

Sightron III is a popular budget minded scope. They have Japanese glass and are popular in F-Class comps and such.

Don't know about the SHV. I sure it and the Sighton would give each other a run for their money. I would just stay away from the RZ1000 unless you need it for quick longer shots on game.

I have used several of the Nightforce SHV and loved them for the $. I have shot some of my buddies SIII, and personally would pick the SHV. The SHV just seemed to have more clarity and I liked the build of the scope itself more (this is just my opinion). I have no experience with the Zeiss so I can't comment there. Any of those scopes should be able to get you to 1000 though without much issue and with very adequate performance.

I really appreciate the feedback, this forum is such a wealth of experience and knowledge.
Starting to lean toward the sightron after the positive comments. Should I be looking for a 20Moa rail? Are the nightforce rail and rings a good combination?
Thanks again.

Check out the new Zeiss Conquest V4 Line , I have two of them, 4-16x44 and 6-24x50, tough as nails, brilliant optics and zero loc MOA turret, SFP,

I have the 4-16x44 zeroed at 100 yards on my 6.5 PRC, it has another 52 MOA of adjustment up from my zero so no issues shooting to 1000 yards if desired,

Three very good choices.
Three very hard choices.
You can't go wrong with either, if I was choosing, I would go SHV
Sightron
Zeiss.
Just my personal rate.

G'day Guys,
I have just purchased a Howa 1500 in a GRS stock in .243 and have a few scope selection dramas. Im trying to shoot this out to 1000yrds so im looking for a decent optic under $1000... im tossing up between the Ziess Conquest HD5 5-25x50 (RZ1000 reticle), the Sightron SIII 6-24x50 (MOA-2 reticle) or the Nightforce SHV 5-20x56 (MOAR reticle) All are around the same price here in Australia.
Is the Sightron in FFP or SFP and what is the total usable MOA i can expect from each? im trying to come up with a combination of rail, rings and scope selection that will let me adequately get to shooting 1000yrds. I do prefer SFP however. Open to all opinions and suggestions.

Cheers!

I had a Zeiss HD5 that failed in me. Lost zero then would not track correctly and couldn't be rezeroed.

John

My stac and buddy's siii track spot on as does my Zeiss conquest. I have no experience with nightforce, but would choose your favourite mil or Moa reticle as major criteria in choosing. For practical purposes, the sightron glass will run with the others

Thank you all for your input. I think ill go the Sightron Siii. seems like a good option for the money & has the features im after. I will keep you updated once i get it all together and ring some steel!

Should I be looking for a 20Moa rail?

Depends on the load trajectory, range, and adjustment capability of the scope.

Generate a trajectory table for your load, and see what the drop is at the range you need the scope for.

Say your drop is 50 MOA at that range, then you will need a scope with 100 MOA adjustment capability. That means it can track 50 MOA up and 50 MOA down.

If you have a 20 MOA rail, then a scope with 60 MOA total adjustment gets you to the same range as a scope with 100 MOA adjustment on a normal rail.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts