scope selection : 7mm

Zodiac

Greetings

I'm new to the forum and new, in some ways, to hunting. I will search for relevant threads soon but for now I'd like some advice on scope selection.

I've read much info about scope specifics from various resources and I plan to read a lot more.

I recently purchased a Winchester 70 in 7mm rem mag. The rifle came with Leupold bases and high rings but let the prev owner keep the Simmons Whitetail 6.5-20x50 that was on it because I want to choose my own scope.

I cannot afford a high end scope at this time. I want quality but funds limit me to approx $300 for this buy, might be able to push that some. Can any of you experienced hunters offer up quality glass in that price range that have a proven track record and that are adequate for the range/recoil of the 7mm mag?

Hunting with this rifle will take place primarily in North Texas for now, where the terrain is relatively flat with a lot of open areas and medium thick brush.

I appreciate any advice

----------------------------------------
edit : I know Leupold and Burris are two of the top name brands out there and I also know that even they can have their flaws and sometimes quality can slip behind a proven name. I also know there are a TON of different options as far scope power, objective lense preferances (I'm leaning toward a 50mm), etc but the bottom line as I can gather is just getting out and shooting through a scope until you're comfortable with what its capable of and then perhaps move to a different model/power.

This will be the first scope I choose for myself (I will mount and zero in the scope myself) and it doesn't have to be the perfect scope right now, but simply a proven (bargain) performer on a gun as similarly capable as mine as far as range and recoil are concerned. I'll upgrade later as funds permit.

Last edited:
No optics expert here but have had good luck with a Bushnell elite 4200 2-10X40, and have a Burris FFll that is a good clear scope. While I have no experience with them have heard good things about the Vipers. And for 399 you can get a 3-9 Zeiss Conquest.

No optics expert here but have had good luck with a Bushnell elite 4200 2-10X40, and have a Burris FFll that is a good clear scope. While I have no experience with them have heard good things about the Vipers. And for 399 you can get a 3-9 Zeiss Conquest.

Thanks, I've heard good things about the Bushnell Elit 4200. Not so much about their cheaper scopes. I've also heard/read good things about Vipers. $399 is pushing the budget but it might be doable if I don't eat this month. I'll check out the Zeiss Conquest.

I have a brand new Redfield 3-9x40 in the box that I got in a trade but was thinking that might be better suited for the Ruger 10/22 I'm getting.

Don't settle. I've shot a 7mm Rem Mag for 30+ years. The first 10+ years, I used a $39 Bushnell Banner and it was FAR worse than your Redfield. I took many nice Muley's with that cheap scope, including a 34.5" Buck at 875yds.

I'd say, put the redfield on there and see what the rifle will do. Set a little $$ aside for a few months and get THE scope you want. I currently use a Leupold 4.5x14x40 on the 7mm.

I like the lowest mounts possible, as it helps me maintain consistent form, that's why I don't use the larger objective scopes on my walk/stalk rifles.

Hope this helps,

AJ

The best scope for the least money will be fixed magnification.

A Weaver Classic K6 will bring you in well under $300, and the glass is Japanese. Optical Light Works makes these scope, also Bushnell Elite, Sightron SII, Vor-Tex, etc.

A Weaver Classic V would be my choice in a variable for around $300.

The V16 4-16x42 has a small eyebell and can be mounted low and clear the bolt. There are several reticles available. It is on my varmint rifle and gets lots of use. It has AO for close-in shots. It has semi-target turrets which are a cross between target turrets and hunting turrets. Tracks very well.

Burris scopes are bright and clear at all price levels. I use several of those as well.

Don't settle. I've shot a 7mm Rem Mag for 30+ years. The first 10+ years, I used a $39 Bushnell Banner and it was FAR worse than your Redfield. I took many nice Muley's with that cheap scope, including a 34.5" Buck at 875yds.

I'd say, put the redfield on there and see what the rifle will do. Set a little $$ aside for a few months and get THE scope you want. I currently use a Leupold 4.5x14x40 on the 7mm.

I like the lowest mounts possible, as it helps me maintain consistent form, that's why I don't use the larger objective scopes on my walk/stalk rifles.

Hope this helps,

AJ

Thank you AJ

875 yards. Nice.

I might go ahead and mount the Redfield up , at least for now, to see how it does. Its just sitting in the box at the moment. I'll have to get lower rings for it.

You might also take a look at the Minox scopes that Cameraland is running the holiday specials on. I have heard good reports about them and the side focus 4-20 is going for $399.00 with the BDC reticle, plus free shipping, I pulled the trigger on one of these myself today!

Bob

I'd also appreciate any tips on power selection.

I don't see me taking shots any further out than 500yds.

4-12 ?

6.5-20 power?

I'm stumped as far as what is necessary and what may be overkill......

Here is another Weaver scope, that after paying shipping and getting a $50 rebate, price will be just under $300. Take a look at the 3-15x42 SF Weaver Super Slam at Natchez shooters supply. A very good japanese made scope with darn good optics and features. It retailed for around $700. Only gripes about this super slam is it is on the heavy side, dispite its somewhat short over all lenght, you might not want on a light carry hunting rifle. Also, you'd probably need extension rings or mounts to fit it on a long Savage action.

oops, Natchez sold out of this particular Weaver scope.

Last edited:
I'd also appreciate any tips on power selection.

I don't see me taking shots any further out than 500yds.

4-12 ?

6.5-20 power?

I'm stumped as far as what is necessary and what may be overkill......

If you can live with the lowest power of 6x why not get higher power even though you don't think you will need it? If you don't have the higher power and you need it what then?

I have the 6-24x50mm Vortex PST FFP MOA with a custom turret and love it.

joseph

The best scope for the least money will be fixed magnification.

A Weaver Classic K6 will bring you in well under $300, and the glass is Japanese. Optical Light Works makes these scope, also Bushnell Elite, Sightron SII, Vor-Tex, etc.

A Weaver Classic V would be my choice in a variable for around $300.

The V16 4-16x42 has a small eyebell and can be mounted low and clear the bolt. There are several reticles available. It is on my varmint rifle and gets lots of use. It has AO for close-in shots. It has semi-target turrets which are a cross between target turrets and hunting turrets. Tracks very well.

Burris scopes are bright and clear at all price levels. I use several of those as well.

I second his opinion! However, in my experience, the Burris' do not track well or return to zero. The Weavers' do! However, why not just throw that Redfield on there and shoot it while you save your money, then go buy a Sightron.

Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.