Scope seems to have gone bad, am i missing anything?

Okay, can you tell me why? Extra confirmation perhaps?
Most of the time when a scope goes wonky, no control whatsoever. Buy your group pics above, maybe you were off, or the rifle fouled, parralax, etc..
The best way to verify is by dialing and shooting farther out, try return to zreo.
By slapping the scope on a diff rifle that shoots, if the scope is bad, you'll never be able to zero it, and you don't have zero the turrets to do this.

Last edited:
Did you make any scope adjustments when you got to the range the second time?

One scope check is the four corners. Shoot once. Then, Up 5 clicks and shoot. Right 5 clicks and shoot. Down 5 clicks and shoot. Left 5 clicks and shoot. See how it does.

I'll put it this way. so you don't shoot the scope on a proven rifle and send it back to the manufacturer. They don't find anything wrong with the scope and just send it back. If you test it on a proven rifle and it doesn't group you have that honest statement in your arsenal. Good luck.

Did you make any scope adjustments when you got to the range the second time?

One scope check is the four corners. Shoot once. Then, Up 5 clicks and shoot. Right 5 clicks and shoot. Down 5 clicks and shoot. Left 5 clicks and shoot. See how it does.
Didn't adjust it at all for that second trip no, although I have since. Good way to check the turrets, thanks.

Had a rifle that went from shooting 1/2" or less groups consistently, to literally the next range trip shooting at best 1" groups and a few as big as 5", average 2-3". I first re-torqued everything, rail, rings, action, and then cleaned the barrel very well. After doing that I had an okay group, still around an inch which is disappointing with this rifle. I then put on a new scope and shot the groups in the first 2 pictures, then I put the original scope back on and shot the group in the last picture. Am I missing anything? Or do I just need to get the scope sent in?

View attachment 354526View attachment 354527View attachment 354528
Scopes DO go bad. I have personally experienced this several times through the years, seen it with a few others. I just read about this very thing late last night.

Can you see a broken crosshhair inside...I was sighting a 300 wby for a guy..he couldnt get it shoot well..had wounded a nice muley buck and was ready to put that sako 300 wby up for sell....
I took it to the tire range..first shot was very close..second right there also...third shot 4" away.....after a series of identical patterns I knew something was very screwy......pointed the muzzle at the sun..and looked into scope from the objective side....that's where i could see the broken crosshair.......put a new scope on it..sighted it..he killed his biggest buck that season...231" non-typical oregon muley.......then he got killed in a freak snow mobile accident.......
Shiite happens.....